NHL notebook: Former Penguin Kovalev announces retirement
• Former Penguins forward Alex Kovalev officially announced his retirement Thursday after a 24-year professional career, NHL.com reported. Kovalev spent 19 years in the NHL with five teams, including two stints with the Penguins (1998-2002, 2010-11), and won a Stanley Cup with the Rangers in 1994. He finished his NHL career with 430 goals and 599 assists in 1,316 games.
• Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello told the Newark (N.J.) Star Ledger that he soon hopes to sign goaltender Cory Schneider to an extension. Schneider, 28, is signed through next season. He was 16-15-12 in 45 games in his first season with the Devils after coming to New Jersey in a 2013 trade with the Canucks.
• The Hurricanes signed Tim Gleason, who they traded to the Maple Leafs in January, to a one-year, $1.2 million deal. Gleason, 31, had one goal, five assists and 65 penalty minutes in 56 games last season.
• The Sabres signed free agent Tyson Strachan to a one-year contract. The 29-year-old defenseman had two assists in 18 games with the Capitals last season.
• The Maple Leafs signed forwards Mike Santorelli and Petri Kontiola to one-year contracts. Santorelli spent last season with the Canucks. He had 10 goals and 18 assists in 49 games for Vancouver before a shoulder injury derailed his season. Kontiola, who will reportedly make $1.1 million, last played in the NHL during a 12-game stint with the Blackhawks in the 2007-08 season.
• The Coyotes named former Sabres general manager Darcy Regier as senior vice president and assistant general manager. Regier spent 17 years as Buffalo's general manager, the longest tenure in the franchise's 44-year history. He helped lead the Sabres to the 1999 Stanley Cup Final and the Eastern Conference final four times.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Meteor lights up night sky above eastern U.S.
- Mon Valley experts react to domestic abuse reports
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Dorfman: Pluses and minuses in America’s 20 largest stocks
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Steelers veteran defenders want young teammates to step up
- Wheel separation incidents occasionally prove deadly; NTSB doesn’t track them
- Classical music crisis: Author says schools today aren’t building audiences
- Kent State provocation with ‘blood’ sweatshirt denied
- Pitt football coach Chryst refutes analyst Wannstedt’s opinion
- Fracking not the problem, Ohio State scientist finds