Wieber's absence lamented by gymnastics coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The coach of reigning world champion Jordyn Wieber said it's an “injustice” the American won't be included in Thursday's Olympic all-around finals.
Wieber finished fourth during qualifying Sunday but will miss a shot at Olympic gold because international rules allow only two competitors per country in the finals.
Teammates Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas finished ahead of Wieber, leaving the 17-year-old on the outside of an all-around final at a major competition for her first time as an elite gymnast.
John Geddert, who has coached Wieber her entire career, called the rule ridiculous, saying it penalizes countries that have deep rosters.
“In this system it's a shame that the all-around champion doesn't get to compete in the finals at the Olympics because of a stupid rule,” Geddert said.
Solo holds firm
U.S. women's soccer goalkeeper Hope Solo didn't back down Monday from her Twitter outburst against NBC analyst Brandi Chastain, saying the tweets were her way of expressing her opinion about the quality of television announcers. Solo addressed the matter during the team's tour of Old Trafford stadium, where the Americans will play North Korea on Tuesday. She didn't apologize or express regret, and she answered only one question about the matter, declining to address, among other things, whether a social media rant in the middle of the Olympics was the proper time or means to convey her feelings about broadcasters.
“It's just my opinion, and nothing else really matters, to be honest,” Solo said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Ferrante cyanide trial resumes with ER doctor testifying
- Nationwide drug ring was centered in Homewood, prosecutor says
- Red Wings rally, shock Penguins in overtime
- Primanti Bros. to mail sandwiches nationwide
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Park service reports ‘significant losses’ of Flight 93 memorial collection in Oct. 3 fire
- LaBar: A memo to WWE critics
- Federal grand jury reviewing Liquor Control Board violations, sources tell Trib