Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trade for Winnik gives Penguins’ competition among bottom six
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- Penguins notebook: No discipline for Capitals’ Wilson
- Pennsylvania House pushes liquor system privatization bill through
- Drivers survive head-on crash on Route 356 in Allegheny Township
- Easter Seals merger in Pennsylvania raises ethics concerns
- Woman charged for holding teen drinking party after video found at Penn-Trafford
- Crowd demands answers from Steel Valley directors over playoff eligibility controversy
- Federal grand jury indicts chief operations manager for Pittsburgh office of Horizons Hospice
- McKeesport incident among derailments that prompt Casey to push ‘crude-by-rail’ rule