Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Art Institute of Pittsburgh offers different kind of ‘Magic’ show
- Butler County continues to experience population growth
- Opera Theater’s Summerfest ranges from classics to world premiere
- Change buildings, but don’t shortchange them
- Cooking Class: Pork and Cabbage Potstickers at Everyday Noodles
- Natrona Heights man’s work helps lure purple martins back to Harrison Hills Park
- Road Trip! Destination: The Merritt Parkway, Conn.
- Government contractor FCi Federal expands into Butler
- Cranberry Township Community Days schedule of events
- California woman’s tale of Army Reserve service told in Sen. McCain’s book