Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012, 10:56 a.m.
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates agree with Barmes on 1-year deal
- Garden Theater developer says plans changing for block’s buildings
- Judge: More info needed about shelter that turned away man with dog
- Human skeleton found in Bellevue
- Pirates claim 3 pitchers in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Peduto among mayors-elect to meet with Obama on Friday
- No one injured in clothes dryer explosion
- Health-insurance mandate poses potential hitch for volunteer fire companies
- Peduto’s latest offer of early retirement to city employees could cost nearly $9M
- Motivated quarterback Roethlisberger fights to prop up Steelers
- Wreck kills man on I-376 in Beaver County