Hopewell's Harmotto, U.S. volleyball settle for silver in loss to Brazil
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON — Hopewell's Christa Harmotto and the U.S. women's volleyball team settled for a disappointing silver medal by falling to Brazil — for a second consecutive Olympics — in the championship match Saturday at Earl's Court.
The U.S. dominated the first set, 25-11, but Brazil pushed back just as hard in taking the second and third, 25-17 and 25-20. The Americans never regained the momentum and lost the decisive fourth set, 25-17.
Harmotto, 25, was competing in her first Olympics.
The Americans were 7-0 entering this match and had lost only two of 23 sets the entire tournament.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liberian families in Western Pa. fret over Ebola virus outbreak
- Steelers’ Blake prefers secondary job
- Greensburg Central Catholic graduate returns as staffer
- Rivals try to block Uber, Lyft in Pittsburgh
- Eastern Derry VFD closes
- More charges filed against Monessen marijuana growers
- Spill closes Mon/Fayette Expressway
- Rise in pickup truck sales a good sign for economy
- Auto sales heat up in July on steep discounts
- Fix-a-flat a remedy in a pinch
- Fabregas: Physicians embrace fist bump over handshake in hospital