Hopewell's Harmotto, U.S. volleyball settle for silver in loss to Brazil
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON — Hopewell's Christa Harmotto and the U.S. women's volleyball team settled for a disappointing silver medal by falling to Brazil — for a second consecutive Olympics — in the championship match Saturday at Earl's Court.
The U.S. dominated the first set, 25-11, but Brazil pushed back just as hard in taking the second and third, 25-17 and 25-20. The Americans never regained the momentum and lost the decisive fourth set, 25-17.
Harmotto, 25, was competing in her first Olympics.
The Americans were 7-0 entering this match and had lost only two of 23 sets the entire tournament.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Judge lifts order blocking racy state emails
- Bethel Park settled police officer’s suit for $25,000
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Westmoreland crash
- Pittsburgh firefighter suffers minor electrical shock in Wilkinsburg fire
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes
- Penguins’ new 3rd jersey similar to early 1990s version
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Alligator spotted along the banks of the Allegheny River in Cheswick
- Steelers’ Polamalu relying on smarts as physical skills decline
- Steelers’ Timmons looks to reverse defense’s struggles
- United OKs bond issue, bills for high school renovation