Hopewell's Harmotto, U.S. volleyball settle for silver in loss to Brazil
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON — Hopewell's Christa Harmotto and the U.S. women's volleyball team settled for a disappointing silver medal by falling to Brazil — for a second consecutive Olympics — in the championship match Saturday at Earl's Court.
The U.S. dominated the first set, 25-11, but Brazil pushed back just as hard in taking the second and third, 25-17 and 25-20. The Americans never regained the momentum and lost the decisive fourth set, 25-17.
Harmotto, 25, was competing in her first Olympics.
The Americans were 7-0 entering this match and had lost only two of 23 sets the entire tournament.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Apollo Council, solicitor prepare vacancy ordinance
- Visual search still hampered by image issues
- Harrison rejects criticism of disorderly conduct ordinance
- If ‘evil’ doesn’t apply to ISIS, what does?
- Labor United Celebration draws 25,000 to Northmoreland Park
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Elizabeth Forward girls soccer looks to extend playoff streak
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Dorfman: Fat profit margins not always sign of star
- Dedicated California educator Hasbrouck dead at 62
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests