Hopewell's Harmotto, U.S. volleyball settle for silver in loss to Brazil
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON — Hopewell's Christa Harmotto and the U.S. women's volleyball team settled for a disappointing silver medal by falling to Brazil — for a second consecutive Olympics — in the championship match Saturday at Earl's Court.
The U.S. dominated the first set, 25-11, but Brazil pushed back just as hard in taking the second and third, 25-17 and 25-20. The Americans never regained the momentum and lost the decisive fourth set, 25-17.
Harmotto, 25, was competing in her first Olympics.
The Americans were 7-0 entering this match and had lost only two of 23 sets the entire tournament.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Pujols agrees to compete in Home Run Derby
- Pirates notebook: Kang settling in to comfort zone
- Greensburg expected to fill two vacancies
- Motorcycle club members plead to conspiracy charges
- Suspended Maryland wide receiver eyeing Pitt
- Policy to suspend employees with felony charges does not apply to Kane
- Subway suspends ties with spokesman after raid at home
- Mother of Wilkinsburg toddler found dead in ravine charged with her murder
- Uber lowers fares in Pittsburgh
- Starkey: Burnett writing incredible final chapter
- Gameday: Pirates vs. San Diego Padres, June 8, 2015