Olympic BMX cyclist Bennett dies in Texas auto accident
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HOUSTON — Olympic BMX cyclist Kyle Bennett has been killed in an automobile accident in eastern Texas. He was 33.
A statement from USA Cycling says the single-vehicle crash happened early Sunday in Conroe, Texas, north of Houston.
Bennett was a three-time BMX world champion and won an automatic spot on the first U.S. BMX Olympic team in 2008.
In the statement, USA Cycling CEO Steve Johnson said Bennett was a pioneer in Olympic BMX cycling and an inspiration to those who knew him.
Bennett is survived by his fiancé and a young daughter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Four helicopters respond to Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Miami (Fla.) gets prepared to take on ‘physical’ Pitt team
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Kittanning News carries latest books by Boarts and Creel
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis’ intangibles provide 1st-line value
- Pittsburgh police deliver 2,500 Thanksgiving meals through program
- Carrick crime ‘blitz’ shows early signs of success
- Small stores take big gamble by not upgrading credit card readers