Olympic BMX cyclist Bennett dies in Texas auto accident
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HOUSTON — Olympic BMX cyclist Kyle Bennett has been killed in an automobile accident in eastern Texas. He was 33.
A statement from USA Cycling says the single-vehicle crash happened early Sunday in Conroe, Texas, north of Houston.
Bennett was a three-time BMX world champion and won an automatic spot on the first U.S. BMX Olympic team in 2008.
In the statement, USA Cycling CEO Steve Johnson said Bennett was a pioneer in Olympic BMX cycling and an inspiration to those who knew him.
Bennett is survived by his fiancé and a young daughter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Paving, electronics upgrades evident at Steel Valley
- Timing drives former KHL star Plotnikov
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Historic WWII-era landing ship tank docking at Heinz Field
- ATI picket injured at Harrison mill
- Cops nab 4 in Monessen drug hangout
- Despite being suspended, Boyd still making contributions for Pitt
- LaBar: The upgrade of The Wyatt Family in WWE