Olympic BMX cyclist Bennett dies in Texas auto accident
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HOUSTON — Olympic BMX cyclist Kyle Bennett has been killed in an automobile accident in eastern Texas. He was 33.
A statement from USA Cycling says the single-vehicle crash happened early Sunday in Conroe, Texas, north of Houston.
Bennett was a three-time BMX world champion and won an automatic spot on the first U.S. BMX Olympic team in 2008.
In the statement, USA Cycling CEO Steve Johnson said Bennett was a pioneer in Olympic BMX cycling and an inspiration to those who knew him.
Bennett is survived by his fiancé and a young daughter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade for Mariners LHP Happ, Dodgers 1B/OF Morse
- Steelers notebook: Officials discuss new game ball procedures
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Armstrong escapee caught; murder charges pending
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Allegheny County DA’s office: Photo of staffer with gun evidence violates protocol
- Police: Lincoln-Lemington burglary suspect shoots self during foot chase with police
- MLB notebook: Mets boost lineup, acquire Cespedes from Tigers
- West Kittanning church marks 100 years of ups and downs
- Heyl: Longtime disc jockey Jimmy Roach to turn dismissal into brighter times