Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012, 10:56 a.m.
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade for Mets 1B Davis
- Pittsburgh-area students on the hunt for the perfect prom dress
- Crews search for Latrobe woman in Linn Run State Park
- Hempfield native, 22, publishes with local independent press
- Man found fatally shot in Larimer a mile away from Homewood peace march
- Donald turns down New York invite for NFL Draft
- Pirates notebook: Players show support for Franklin Regional
- Sculpture at Phipps links art and sustainability
- City Theatre cancels ‘Grounded’ through April 20
- Survivors in critical condition a day after fifth Armstrong County car crash victim dies
- Chat with Dejan Kovacevic: April 18, 2014