Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- $11M gift from Hillman to help CMU attract faculty, support students
- Plum school board asks why tip line was removed from student handbook
- Pitt women’s soccer makes history; West Virginia doesn’t want to repeat it
- Keuchel, Astros beat Yankees
- Audit: Work of adviser in Pa. Department of Education hard to pin down
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- Ligonier council approves design changes to Diamond
- New Florence assistant fire chief charged with having sex with juvenile
- Former Mich. lawmaker uses D.C. trip to lobby for better veterans health care
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step