Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Saturday, August 11, 2012, 10:56 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Pirates waste strong Burnett start, fall again to Brewers at Miller Park
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Marine restores pride of Memorial Day parade on streets of Lawrenceville
- Mix-up at poll could impact Freeport Area School Board race
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- Penguins notebook: Tickets for Eastern Conference final on sale today
- Cieply dedicating his career to cancer research
- Bank sues to stop $235,000 payment
- Smoking in school costs man more than a fine
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.