Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- Woman killed in Washington Township crash
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Tough times are in past for Pitt senior guard Kiesel
- Former athletes open businesses
- Suburban Catholic schools grow in Western Pennsylvania
- ‘Line is definitely blurry,’ state police say of dating websites and prostitution
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- State’s no-bid contracts with private law firms prompt scrutiny