Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Elizabeth Township Commissioners approve phone system upgrade
- Steel Center celebrates 50 years
- Four issues that the Steelers need to take care of in September
- Rossi: Longing for when `Browns Week’ mattered
- Steelers bracing to face 2 quarterbacks vs. Browns
- Wainwright, Cardinals rough up Locke in 6-4 victory over Pirates
- Worker driving vehicle hurt at Pittsburgh International Airport
- State police probe trooper’s arrest at Pittsburgh wedding
- New Kensington residents vent anger at council meeting
- Slovenian Club in Claridge is marking 100th anniversary
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount