Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Time for bold change,’ Wolf says in outlining $30B state budget
- State’s highest court to take up legality of Wolf moratorium on death penalty
- Company proposes building 2 gas-fired power plants in West Virginia
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Cal U fraternity president cited after police arrest 7 in weekend brawl
- ‘Let It Snow’s’ big-name cast filming all over Western Pennsylvania
- Spirit Airlines to add daily flights from Latrobe to Chicago O’Hare
- Railroad measure awaits House approval
- Lawrenceville man charged with rape, child pornography and 27 other sexual offenses
- Wilkinsburg father ordered to have no contact with daughter or her grandmother