Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Time is of essence for Pitt in finding football coach, athletic director
- Fleury’s career-best 6th shutout lifts Penguins over Avalanche in overtime
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- Analysis: Misunderstood Chryst served Pitt well
- Assistant at Duke eyes Pitt football job
- High school basketball notebook: Plum grad Cressler returns as volunteer assistant for Knoch
- Pitt coordinator Rudolph is considered hot coaching commodity
- Beacons track shoppers’ smartphones amid retailers’ aisles
- Greensburg high school roundup: No. 3 Norwin girls take down No. 1 North Allegheny
- LT High school roundup: Kittanning offense comes to life in win over Knoch
- High school roundup: No. 2 CW North Catholic cruises past No. 4 Riverview