Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hit sends Penguins’ Letang to hospital
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Mt. Lebanon native, Iraq war hero’s action goes unrewarded
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Downie’s goal, fight spark Penguins to win over Coyotes
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Shortfalls sabotage promise of a union retiree’s pension
- Starkey: Next frontier for Steelers offense
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Probiotic bacteria help conquer ‘superbugs’
- Man rescued from sinkhole in McKeesport