Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Script is it: Classic Pitt helmet design to return vs. Georgia Tech
- 2 dead, including student gunman, after Wash. school shooting
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Pirates to end spring in Philadelphia again, sign Stinson to minor league deal
- Wilkinsburg couple arrested after baby girl dies following beating
- Ferrante trial: Cyanide order form in plain sight
- Authorities: Remains belong to missing Va. student
- PennDOT warns of delays next week on Butler Street near Highland Park Bridge
- Arrest made in connection with Rostraver home invasion
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense