Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: ‘Hockey guy’ Sutter will be missed
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- School credit ratings a problem for several in Western Pennsylvania
- Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver
- Penguins trade Sutter to Canucks, sign free agent center Fehr
- 5 face trial in beating of black man in Pittsburgh
- Van Halen plays plenty of favorites in First Niagara show
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell gets suspension, fine reduced
- Sutter: Staal effect felt on 3rd line with Penguins
- More than 100 stamp bags confiscated in Greensburg; 4 arrested