Waynesburg wrestler claims Olympic bronze
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON - Waynesburg's Coleman Scott won the Olympic bronze medal in 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling Saturday, but Wexford's Jake Herbert failed to medal in the 84-kilogram bracket.
Scott, 26, was eliminated from gold contetion in the semifinals by Azerbaijan's Toghrul Asgarov, 1-0, 4-1. But he responded in the bronze match by beating Japan's Kenichi Yumoto, 0-1, 3-0, 3-1. This was Scott's first Olympics after a successful career at Oklahoma State University.
Herbert, 27, a gold-medal hopeful, lost in the quarterfinals to Azerbaijan's Sharif Sharifov, 4-1, 6-0. Herbert had narrowly advanced through his first-round match by beating Cuba's Humberto Daniel Arencibia Martinez, 4-1, 0-8, 1-1. Herbert preserved that victory with a takedown in the final 10 seconds.
Herbert later was eliminated from bronze contention in repechage to Turkey's Ibrahim Bolukbasi, 1-0, 1-4, 5-4.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 7 in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- Tomlin: Possible Steelers midseason surge won’t come easy vs. Colts
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Pittsburgh police officer hurt in motorcycle crash
- Twelve selected for jury in Ferrante trial
- Rostraver woman victim of home invasion
- Butler Township moves to block drilling in residential areas
- Pitt to play Notre Dame 5 times over next 11 seasons
- French oil CEO killed when private jet collides with snowplow during takeoff in Moscow
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Alleged abuse by Franciscan friar nets $8M for 88 former students