Hopewell's Harmotto, U.S. volleyball settle for silver in loss to Brazil
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LONDON — Hopewell's Christa Harmotto and the U.S. women's volleyball team settled for a disappointing silver medal by falling to Brazil — for a second consecutive Olympics — in the championship match Saturday at Earl's Court.
The U.S. dominated the first set, 25-11, but Brazil pushed back just as hard in taking the second and third, 25-17 and 25-20. The Americans never regained the momentum and lost the decisive fourth set, 25-17.
Harmotto, 25, was competing in her first Olympics.
The Americans were 7-0 entering this match and had lost only two of 23 sets the entire tournament.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bacteria levels in water at VA Butler Healthcare too high
- Homewood man ordered to stand trial in death of Andre Gray
- Baldwin-Whitehall teacher charged with assault for hitting male student in chest
- Trooper fatally shoots burglary suspect inside Somerset grocery store
- Armed bandit holds up Leechburg gas station
- Two jail inmates died at UPMC Mercy, medical examiner’s office says
- Natrona Heights native helped bring ‘American Ninja Warrior’ to Pittsburgh
- New Kensington Megan’s Law offender jailed on new child porn charges
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Officials envision reinvigorated Allegheny County Airport