Olympic BMX cyclist Bennett dies in Texas auto accident
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HOUSTON — Olympic BMX cyclist Kyle Bennett has been killed in an automobile accident in eastern Texas. He was 33.
A statement from USA Cycling says the single-vehicle crash happened early Sunday in Conroe, Texas, north of Houston.
Bennett was a three-time BMX world champion and won an automatic spot on the first U.S. BMX Olympic team in 2008.
In the statement, USA Cycling CEO Steve Johnson said Bennett was a pioneer in Olympic BMX cycling and an inspiration to those who knew him.
Bennett is survived by his fiancé and a young daughter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- No decision yet on charges against elderly driver who struck and killed pregnant woman
- Committee looks into beneficial uses of coal ash
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- UPMC researcher died of acute cyanide poisoning, medical examiner says
- Photo of suspect in Greendale Tavern burglary/fire released
- Icy roads cause accidents, slow traffic across Western Pa.
- Washington Co. couple sues Range Resources over drilling, water
- Fayette County history could fetch big bucks at Ohio auction
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Effort to bring fishing event for veterans back to Squaw Valley Park picks up steam