Olympic BMX cyclist Bennett dies in Texas auto accident
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HOUSTON — Olympic BMX cyclist Kyle Bennett has been killed in an automobile accident in eastern Texas. He was 33.
A statement from USA Cycling says the single-vehicle crash happened early Sunday in Conroe, Texas, north of Houston.
Bennett was a three-time BMX world champion and won an automatic spot on the first U.S. BMX Olympic team in 2008.
In the statement, USA Cycling CEO Steve Johnson said Bennett was a pioneer in Olympic BMX cycling and an inspiration to those who knew him.
Bennett is survived by his fiancé and a young daughter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- Steelers’ Brown made good after leaving PSU in wake of sanctions
- Crash closes road in Dunbar
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- Large-scale batteries are integral in shift to renewable energy
- Pittsburgh wins Gawker.com ugliest accent tourney n’at