Olympic BMX cyclist Bennett dies in Texas auto accident
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HOUSTON — Olympic BMX cyclist Kyle Bennett has been killed in an automobile accident in eastern Texas. He was 33.
A statement from USA Cycling says the single-vehicle crash happened early Sunday in Conroe, Texas, north of Houston.
Bennett was a three-time BMX world champion and won an automatic spot on the first U.S. BMX Olympic team in 2008.
In the statement, USA Cycling CEO Steve Johnson said Bennett was a pioneer in Olympic BMX cycling and an inspiration to those who knew him.
Bennett is survived by his fiancé and a young daughter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pedestrian injured in accident near busway ramp in Carnegie
- Wrong-way driver causes head-on crash in Center
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Couple attempts theft at North Huntingdon Walmart
- Players need to challenge IRS targeting of slot jackpots
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Man taken to hospital after New Alexandria house burns
- Kennywood fanatic, 82, rides Jack Rabbit 95 times in a row
- Cochran repair center planned in Harrison
- Springdale councilmen resigned to defeat