Olympic BMX cyclist Bennett dies in Texas auto accident
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HOUSTON — Olympic BMX cyclist Kyle Bennett has been killed in an automobile accident in eastern Texas. He was 33.
A statement from USA Cycling says the single-vehicle crash happened early Sunday in Conroe, Texas, north of Houston.
Bennett was a three-time BMX world champion and won an automatic spot on the first U.S. BMX Olympic team in 2008.
In the statement, USA Cycling CEO Steve Johnson said Bennett was a pioneer in Olympic BMX cycling and an inspiration to those who knew him.
Bennett is survived by his fiancé and a young daughter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police arrest 4 in Pitcairn drug investigation
- Spring check-up: Gingham is this season’s fashion favorite
- Pirates notebook: Worley bounces back after rough start
- Review: ‘Wild Tales’ sinks its teeth into 6 tales of revenge
- Penguins notebook: Staal insists he never asked for trade to Penguins
- Putin’s sure Russia wins tug-of-war with West
- WCCC delays new building opening until fall
- Alone at controls, Germanwings co-pilot sought to ‘destroy’ the plane
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal
- Spring training breakdown: Braves 7, Pirates 5
- Pitt adds quarterback recruit from Cincinnati