Olympic BMX cyclist Bennett dies in Texas auto accident
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HOUSTON — Olympic BMX cyclist Kyle Bennett has been killed in an automobile accident in eastern Texas. He was 33.
A statement from USA Cycling says the single-vehicle crash happened early Sunday in Conroe, Texas, north of Houston.
Bennett was a three-time BMX world champion and won an automatic spot on the first U.S. BMX Olympic team in 2008.
In the statement, USA Cycling CEO Steve Johnson said Bennett was a pioneer in Olympic BMX cycling and an inspiration to those who knew him.
Bennett is survived by his fiancé and a young daughter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Blake prefers secondary job
- Gorman: Spirit of rule at stake for life of Riley
- Pirates notebook: Cole scratched from rehab start at Indianapolis
- Fired-up McNamara races to victory in Liberty Mile
- Steelers notebook: Team extends Suisham’s contract through 2018
- Police: Body found beneath Tarentum Bridge is jumper
- Locke’s difficulties continue thanks to old friends
- Driver describes accident that killed fireworks-spooked horse near Fayette fairgrounds
- Police target 17 in Mon Valley drug investigation
- Treatment, not trial, for girl, 12, held in stabbing
- Steelers rookie says Sam, his former roommate, has changed