Olympic BMX cyclist Bennett dies in Texas auto accident
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HOUSTON — Olympic BMX cyclist Kyle Bennett has been killed in an automobile accident in eastern Texas. He was 33.
A statement from USA Cycling says the single-vehicle crash happened early Sunday in Conroe, Texas, north of Houston.
Bennett was a three-time BMX world champion and won an automatic spot on the first U.S. BMX Olympic team in 2008.
In the statement, USA Cycling CEO Steve Johnson said Bennett was a pioneer in Olympic BMX cycling and an inspiration to those who knew him.
Bennett is survived by his fiancé and a young daughter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby, Malkin to miss start of Penguins camp
- Pittsburgh motorists get fewer parking tickets, pay more at meters
- Steelers defense a long way from ‘greatest of all time’
- ‘First-class’ hotel planned in Oakland
- Starkey: Two amazing Pirates fans
- Charges filed against man shot by police in Bell Township
- Air Conditioning Contractors, Peoples partner on furnace cleanings for low-income residents
- Number of jobs in high-tech industry outpace workers in Pittsburgh, nation
- Video posted online captures Wilkinsburg child’s injuries
- Steelers remain confident in ground game
- Slain trooper eulogized as impeccable officer