Olympic BMX cyclist Bennett dies in Texas auto accident
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HOUSTON — Olympic BMX cyclist Kyle Bennett has been killed in an automobile accident in eastern Texas. He was 33.
A statement from USA Cycling says the single-vehicle crash happened early Sunday in Conroe, Texas, north of Houston.
Bennett was a three-time BMX world champion and won an automatic spot on the first U.S. BMX Olympic team in 2008.
In the statement, USA Cycling CEO Steve Johnson said Bennett was a pioneer in Olympic BMX cycling and an inspiration to those who knew him.
Bennett is survived by his fiancé and a young daughter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers’ tarnished Bell rings true
- Tomlin gives suggestion Steelers won’t be shy about going for 2
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- EPA to release biofuels proposal by June 1
- UPMC offering buyouts to 3,500 employees in cost-cutting move
- Vandals ruin Ligonier Township farmers’ garden
- Pittsburgh shortens the party for Chesney fans
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click in win over Marlins
- Lawsuit filed against PWSA for inaccurate billing from radio-controlled meter readers
- Steel Valley uses late rally to beat Keystone Oaks, advance to PIAA playoffs
- Duquesne University to raise minimum wage floor