Wallisch not chosen for United States Olympic team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeskier Tom Wallisch, of Scott Township, will not get the opportunity to represent the United States in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia despite entering the season as a favorite to make the team.
The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association handed out discretionary picks on Tuesday afternoon, with Joss Christensen being added in men's slopestyle.
Wallisch tweeted on Tuesday afternoon, “Thanks for the support everyone! Just wasn't the year for me. Weather, judging, events, injuries... But stoked to watch all my friends slay!” He followed that up with “Also so proud of the homie @josschristensen and the rest of our US team. Go get em out there!”
Also added to the team were halfpipe skier Torin Yater-Wallace, Annalisa Drew (halfpipe) and Julia Krass and Maggie Voisin (women's slopestyle).
Wallisch, a Chartiers Valley graduate who now lives in Park City, joined more than 50 Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls in New York City in October for the Road to Sochi Tour event that marked the 100-day countdown to the opening of the Games. He has also been featured in Olympic promotional advertising appearing on NBC in recent weeks.
But the reigning world champion finished in ninth place on Friday and fourth on Saturday at the Park City Grand Prix in Utah and failed to earn an automatic spot on the team.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Plum superintendent says lack of school tip line was ‘oversight’
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Police: Woman, 18, pretended to be student, assaulted Perry principal
- Banshee trailer featuring Vandergrift released
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Downtown Pittsburgh Macy’s donates bits of history
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Hydrangeas flower year after year with proper care, placement, feeding
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership
- Guns, drugs recovered during raid in Wilkinsburg