Olympics roundup: American-born Wild wins 2nd gold medal
TribLIVE Sports Videos
KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia — American-born snowboarder Vic Wild completed a sweep of the Olympic snowboard parallel slalom events and gave his adopted country of Russia a boost in the race to top the medals table in Sochi.
Wild edged Zan Kosir of Slovenia by 0.11 seconds in Saturday's final of parallel slalom to win his second gold medal of the Games.
The win capped a remarkable four days for the native of White Salmon, Wash., who is married to Russian snowboarder Alena Zavarzina and earlier won gold in parallel giant slalom.
Julia Dujmovits of Austria won gold in the women's race. Anke Karstens of Germany won silver, with teammate Amelie Kober taking bronze.
Mario Matt of Austria won the men's slalom, becoming the oldest Alpine champion in Olympic history. Leading after the first run, Matt, 34, glided through the slushy course in a combined time of 1 minute, 41.84 seconds in the last Alpine event of the Sochi Olympics. Austrian teammate Marcel Hirscher turned in a blistering final run to take silver, 0.28 behind, and teenager Henrik Kristoffersen of Norway captured bronze.
Marit Bjoergen became the most decorated female Winter Olympian in history by leading a Norwegian sweep in the women's 30-kilometer cross-country ski race. Bjoergen won her sixth Olympic gold, to go with three silvers and a bronze.
The Netherlands capped its dominant performance with two more gold medals in team pursuit, bringing their haul to a staggering eight golds and 23 medals overall. The Dutch men cruised through the semifinals and finals, pulling away from South Korea to win gold with an Olympic record time of 3 minutes, 37.71 seconds. The women blew away Poland with their third Olympic record time, winning in 2:58.05.
Russian anchor Anton Shipulin beat Germany's Simon Schempp on the final lap to give the host nation its first biathlon gold of the Sochi Games. The 4x7.5-kilometer relay was the last biathlon competition at the games. Germany got the silver and Austria the bronze.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police seek help finding missing man
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Frazier cross country letter winner stays on the run
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Wolf in Leechburg: ‘Get it right this time’ in the election for Pa. governor
- Mon Valley YMCA scholarship auction planned
- Armstrong in test program using slag on icy roads
- ‘Rocky Horror’ takes center stage at Regent Square, Greensburg venues
- Man arrested after showing up at hospital with gunshot wounds
- Haverford gets record gift from an alum the college helped save
- Butler County grade school friends win championships