ShareThis Page
Other Local

Sewickley Academy's Ross prepares for national championships

| Sunday, July 10, 2016, 10:51 p.m.
Sewickley Academy's Luke Ross has continued to hone his game during the summer months.
Submitted
Sewickley Academy's Luke Ross has continued to hone his game during the summer months.

Junior tennis player Luke Ross of Sewickley will have some adjustments to make at the United States Tennis Association Boys' 18 & 16 National Clay Court Championships in Delray Beach, Fla., from July 17-24.

Ross, 17, qualified as one of the top five players in 18s in the USTA Middle States section.

In its 50th year, the tournament will have more than 380 players in the two age groups.

The likes of former Grand Slam singles champions John McEnroe (1976) and Vitas Gerulaitis (1972) are past 18s champions.

Budi Susanto, Ross' coach, said Ross' playing style is not suited to clay.

Ross was eliminated early in 16s last year.

“He has (a) very aggressive game from the baseline,” Susanto said. “He attacks all the time (and) likes to play (a) short rally.

“Most players will rally longer on clay (and) make (their) opponent lose balance, running them around the court all day.

“Luke plays (just) the opposite.”

To prepare, Ross has been attending a tennis academy in Florida this month.

He said he wants to improve to impress college coaches.

Ross won WPIAL and PIAA Class AA singles titles as a junior at Sewickley Academy this year.

He hopes to play for an NCAA Division I team after high school.

Ross was one of six players selected to represent the Middle States section at the Boys 18s National Team Championship at the University of Illinois-Urbana on July 30-Aug. 2.

He also has qualified for the National Championships-Boys 18 & 16 at Kalamazoo, Mich., next month.

Susanto expects Ross to be tested in every event.

“The level in USTA league (is) much stronger (than) high school,” Susanto said. “Most players he competes (against) are aiming to play for (a) college or (professionally).

“(They) will be the best of the best.”

Karen Kadilak is a freelance writer.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me