Norwin senior Ellwood wins Nelson scholarship
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Norwin senior Joshua Ellwood received a surprise when he got called down to the guidance office earlier this month, but it was a welcome one.
Ellwood was named the recipient of the 2013 David J. Nelson Scholarship. The annual gift is awarded to a Norwin senior or seniors who best exemplify the qualities of Nelson, a Norwin middle school student who died after collapsing during a youth basketball practice in 2005.
“I'm very ecstatic,” Ellwood said. “I'm honored to get such a prestigious scholarship from such a great family, and I appreciate it very much.”
Ellwood, a captain for the Norwin lacrosse team this fall, met the listed criteria to win the award.
The criteria include maintaining an average grade of 85 percent or higher; demonstrating a love for athletics, as well as good sportsmanship and character; showing commitment in the areas of music, art and community; and showing a genuine acceptance and tolerance of peers, regardless of their interests or background.
Scholarship applicants also had to write an essay of up to 1,000 words based on a specific Ralph Waldo Emerson quote and provide two letters of recommendation from teachers, coaches or other adults who aren't relatives but helped in their personal, academic and/or athletic development.
Jeff and Lori Nelson, David's parents, were on hand to present Ellwood with the $2,500 scholarship earlier this month. Ellwood's mother and older brother were also in attendance, as were John Boylan and John Wilson, president and treasurer of the Norwin School District Community Foundation.
Ellwood plans to attend Penn State, where he will study mechanical engineering.
“We wish you well in the years ahead,” Boylan said.
Doug Gulasy is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or via Twitter @dgulasy_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tennessee QB considers transfer to Pitt
- Central Catholic safety Petrishen to sign with Penn State
- City crews getting ready for winter storm expected Sunday, Monday
- 4-car pileup reported on Bower Hill Road
- Penn State falls at Illinois on late layup
- Pitt upsets No. 8 Notre Dame to snap losing streak
- Oldies concert to give Charleroi school programs a boost
- Video: Islamic State group beheads Japanese journalist
- Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
- HOF finalist Bettis ‘behind everything’ in 2005 Super Bowl run
- Brownsville hopes grant can help launch project