Plans for 2nd annual Fryer Open take shape
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Matt Fryer thinks his late father, Bob, would shake his head and maybe even blush at the thought of a golf outing in his honor.
“He would be a little taken aback by it for sure,” Fryer said. “I don't think he'd want any kind of spotlight. That wasn't his style.”
But Bob Fryer, a longtime newspaper man from Allegheny Township who got his start at the Valley News Dispatch and later worked as managing editor at the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, probably would flash one of his wry grins and be proud of the scholarship fund in his name.
After a successful inaugural outing, organizers are putting together the second annual Bob Fryer Memorial Golf Outing, set for July 27 at River Forest Country Club.
Fryer was a member at River Forest for more than 25 years. He lost his battle with lung cancer on April 13, 2011, at age 64.
Breaking news was only one of his passions. He also chased breaking putts on the golf course.
“He wasn't a very long hitter, but he was very good around the greens,” said Matt Fryer, who lives in Buffalo Township. “That's always why he liked River Forest so much. It's not a real long course, but you have to be able to chip.”
Proceeds from the event will be split two-fold, with a key portion going toward a scholarship for an aspiring journalist through the Press Club of Western Pennsylvania.
Funds also will benefit the American Cancer Society.
The outing raised more than $20,000 in 2012.
“Last year, we gave the scholarship to a college student at Point Park, my dad's alma mater,” Matt Fryer said. “We're trying to get her to come and speak at this year's outing.”
Ninety-six golfers took part in the 2012 event, but organizers are aiming for 125 participants this time.
Cost to play is $400 per foursome, which includes golf, cart, lunch, dinner and prizes.
For more information, call 412-320-7909 or visit BobFryerMemorial.com.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LaBar: Sting making history fighting for WWE title
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- RB Williams believes he’s making seamless transition to Steelers
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- Injured DT Render missing from Pitt depth chart
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Vintage drive-in theaters’ prices, upgrades still draw in Western Pa.
- Derry Township man killed in ATV crash
- White lion Prince dies at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort
- Pitt basketball team starting to get injured players back
- Animal welfare groups see opportunities in dialogue about Vick signing