Third Annual Charel's Camp set for June 29 in Monessen
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The third annual Charel's Basketball Camp and Highlight Game is set for June 29 at Monessen High's gymnasium.
The event is an open basketball camp for boys and girls ages 5-17 with drills to include shooting, ball-handling, defense, passing and rebounding.
The director of the camp is former Monessen and Notre Dame and current European professional basketball star Charel Allen.
Allen, 26, just finished her fifth season of play overseas in Bulgaria, playing for BC Levski. The past season she led the BNBL in steals and was named Shooting Guard of the Year.
“It was a great year, both individually and as a team,” she said. “We finished third in our conference tournament and also made the league playoffs.”
Allen said although she has yet to negotiate a new deal with BC Levski, she hopes to play there again next season.
The camp will run from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the cost of registration is $20 pre-registration fee by June 19 and $25 the day of the camp.
Allen said the size of the camp has grown over the years.
“We had about 40 campers the first year and over 60 last year,” she said. “It is exciting to see it come together and be able to give something back to the community.”
The camp will also feature an inspirational speaker, Patrick O'Brien, who is the president and CEO of First Federal Savings Bank of Monessen.
“I think he will put on a great presentation,” said Allen. “I try to mix things up every year and have somebody different to meet with the campers.”
Last year, NBA player Jason Thompson of the Sacramento Kings attended the camp.
“He had such a good time and wanted to come back this year, but the date we have did not work for him,” Allen said.
The Highlight Game will come afterward and will feature Allen playing, along with other former high school and college standouts, including Monessen's Brandon Jackson, Tim Tyree and Josh Arnold, Clairton's Kamela Gissendanner and Rashawd Hatten and Ringgold's Robert Brownlee Jr.
“The Highlight Game has been a big draw for us and a nice competition for the campers to see,” she said.
There will be a $3 fee for non-campers to watch the Highlight Game.
For more information, contact Allen at 724-228-6706 or 724-263-0157.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man shot and killed in Homewood
- House collapses in Aliquippa, rescuers search for man who lives there
- Paterno son, another ex-football assistant coach suing PSU
- City seeks gag order in case involving 2012 traffic stop that paralyzed East Liberty man
- Wrongful death lawsuit filed in 2013 accident
- Allegheny County warns of uptick in Lyme disease cases
- Wolf says he’ll work with state legislature to deal with pension woes
- Federal appeals courts disagree on Obamacare subsidies
- Officials to limit tailgating before Jason Aldean concert at PNC Park
- High school notebook: Hempfield basketball coach Marino resigns
- Explosion levels home in Central Texas; 3 hurt