Newly installed Brentwood Stadium turf to be ready for 2013 football season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Members of the Brentwood varsity football team moved their conditioning workouts to the Brentwood Borough baseball fields in the last two weeks, as crews continue to work on renovations at Brentwood Stadium and the nearby practice field.
“We're just so limited,” said Brentwood assistant coach Casey Phillips, who works with the quarterbacks. “We've been all over creation. But it will be nice — and worth it — when it's all done and we have a new field.”
Brentwood Park is undergoing an $8 million overhaul. A groundbreaking for Phases I and II of the project was held in May.
The project includes renovations to Brentwood Stadium, which the Brentwood Borough School District leases from Brentwood Borough for various activities. A new turf is being installed this week as part of the project.
Plans are for the stadium to be ready for the 2013 varsity football season, which starts with a home game Aug. 30 against Serra Catholic at 7:30 p.m.
In the meantime, the Brentwood football team, which starts preseason camp Aug. 12, will practice on the baseball field, Phillips said. The team also has used Baldwin High School's field Sunday evenings in July to train.
Both Brentwood scrimmages — one Aug. 17 at Southmoreland High School and one Aug. 23 at Northgate High School — will be away this year, to provide enough time for the stadium to be finished, Phillips said.
“We did that on purpose,” he said.
Stephanie Hacke is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5818 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Behind Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Crosby, Malkin want to remain in Pittsburgh
- Injured Penguins optimistic about returning next season
- McCain renews push to have military, not CIA, manage drone strikes
- Boy, 15, charged with firing shots in Brighton Heights
- McKees Rocks fire displaces 2 residents
- Israel thwarts terrorist attack
- Penguins notebook: Crosby to play in worlds for 1st time since 2006
- United States aided rebels in Caucasus, Russian President Putin claims
- NASA head tells Pitt grads their generation will ‘walk the face of Mars’
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport