Newly installed Brentwood Stadium turf to be ready for 2013 football season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Members of the Brentwood varsity football team moved their conditioning workouts to the Brentwood Borough baseball fields in the last two weeks, as crews continue to work on renovations at Brentwood Stadium and the nearby practice field.
“We're just so limited,” said Brentwood assistant coach Casey Phillips, who works with the quarterbacks. “We've been all over creation. But it will be nice — and worth it — when it's all done and we have a new field.”
Brentwood Park is undergoing an $8 million overhaul. A groundbreaking for Phases I and II of the project was held in May.
The project includes renovations to Brentwood Stadium, which the Brentwood Borough School District leases from Brentwood Borough for various activities. A new turf is being installed this week as part of the project.
Plans are for the stadium to be ready for the 2013 varsity football season, which starts with a home game Aug. 30 against Serra Catholic at 7:30 p.m.
In the meantime, the Brentwood football team, which starts preseason camp Aug. 12, will practice on the baseball field, Phillips said. The team also has used Baldwin High School's field Sunday evenings in July to train.
Both Brentwood scrimmages — one Aug. 17 at Southmoreland High School and one Aug. 23 at Northgate High School — will be away this year, to provide enough time for the stadium to be finished, Phillips said.
“We did that on purpose,” he said.
Stephanie Hacke is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5818 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mother, baby found dead in Millvale apartment
- Steelers sign former ACC Player of the Year Boyd for QB depth
- PSU recruit Joseph to meet club pal, an Iowa recruit, in PIAA Class AAA semis
- Polamalu could be next in long line of Steelers greats given unceremonial exit
- 2 found dead in Harrison home
- Commentary: Grateful economics are Dead as fans pay through the nose
- Steel Valley cancels classes, plans for teachers strike
- Route 422 closed after serious accident in Kittanning Township
- States’ attempts to curb campus sex assaults snag on complex issues of victims’, accusers’ rights
- McCandless-born writer found herself through ‘Orange’
- Jerry Garcia tribute concert set for May