Former Plum football star dies
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jeff Boynton, a 1978 Plum graduate and standout four-sport athlete for the Mustangs, died Wednesday evening of injuries suffered in a September auto accident.
He was 54.
Boynton competed in baseball, basketball and track and field at Plum, but football is where he made the biggest impact.
He scored 27 career touchdowns for Plum.
In one game, he scored three touchdowns three different ways in one quarter — a 97-yard kickoff return, a 70-yard punt return and a 6-yard rush.
He was named Plum's Most Valuable Athlete for the 1977-78 school year, and he earned several other awards and honors for his play. His No. 22 football jersey is the only one ever to be retired by Plum football.
Boynton accepted a full scholarship to play football at West Virginia University.
However, he was not able to fulfill his dreams of playing at the Division I level.
During the Shriner All-Star game in the summer of 1978, he suffered a spinal cord injury and paralysis that required the use of a wheel chair.
Boynton's contributions to Plum athletics were honored in 2008 as he was inducted into the Plum High School Sports Hall of Fame.
A memorial scholarship fund has been established in Boynton's name for Plum High School graduates, and all memorial gifts will be directed to this fund.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or via Twitter @Mlove_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Pa. to monitor travelers from West Africa for Ebola virus
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Flight 93 memorial fire hints at struggle to safeguard historic artifacts
- Fábregas: Cancer-stricken California woman chooses to plan her death
- Pens look to buck shots, goals trend
- Police investigate 2 shootings in Washington County, one of them fatal
- Lower Burrell man charged with shoplifting
- Freeport man accused of having child pornography images
- Man robbed, shot in East Liberty