Early registration deadline Saturday for annual Brentwood Firecracker 5K Run
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Brentwood Firecracker 5K Run is held annually on July 4 on the Brentwood holiday parade route on Brownsville Road.
It is one of the biggest 5K races in Western Pennsylvania if not the state. There were more than 2,200 participants last year, which set a record for registrations.
This year's contest will start at 9 a.m. and kick off the festive Fourth of July holiday weekend in the area.
“Since the race is on a Friday this year, we anticipate a record number of weekend visitors in Brentwood, and an even higher amount of runners,” said Kira Kellner, who serves as co-race director with Maureen Cunningham.
“We are capping this year's race at 2,500; if we hit that number pre-race weekend, we may not accept ‘day of' registration. This is for the safety of our runners.”
Kellner, Cunningham and the 5K race committee are planning several changes for this year's event, including:
• New timing system and 5K race structure.
Disposable race chips will be used, along with a start and finish mat.
• New early bird registration rate(s).
The registration fee is $18 until May 31. From June 1 through June 26, the fee will be $20.
If there is race day registration, the fee will increase to $25.
“We have gone away with the ‘family' pricing, and instead have restructured the entry fees to encourage early, online registration,” Kellner said.
• Junior runners.
The fee for junior runners, ages 11 and under, is $10.
It will increase to $15 on race day (space permitting).
• Race course improvements.
“We are having the race course re-certified,” Kellner said, “and are sprucing up some of the signage on the course.”
Also on the local front, Team Red White & Blue, a group of veterans, will be running in this year's race and is planning to conduct a blood drive in Dormont on June 29 — prior to picking up their packets.
The post-race awards ceremony will take place at Brentwood Towne Square.
Trophy and cash awards will be presented to the top three male and female finishers, and to the top individual male and female master (ages 40-plus) finishers.
Trophies will be awarded to the first three runners in each age group, and to the first male and female Brentwood runner.
More than $2,000 in prizes will be offered in raffles following the race. All registered participants are eligible for the drawing(s).
Brentwood Firecracker 5K Run registration forms are available at Brentwood Library, located at 3501 Brownsville Road. Race packets will be available June 29-30 at the library.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-388-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bodies of Kochu, Gray found in Ohio River in West Virginia
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Narduzzi set to begin more critical evaluations during Pitt football spring drills
- Police end standoff with New Kensington man
- Pirates notebook: Worley bounces back after rough start
- Pitt adds quarterback recruit from Cincinnati
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Pittsburgh angles to keep Heinz headquarters in merger
- Steel Valley board denies teachers union restroom grievance
- Fracking foes pack zoning discussion in Ligonier Township
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal