Daily News roundup: South Park, Quinn win series openers
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The South Park and Quinn Construction baseball teams opened with victories Sunday in the best-of-five semifinal-round series of the McKeesport Daily News League.
The second games of the series were scheduled for Monday, with South Park and South Hills play at 6:15 p.m. at Mellon Middle School in Mt. Lebanon, and Quinn Construction and Clancy's Pub meet at 6 p.m. at Beedle Park in Jefferson Hills.
South Park 10, South Hills 2 — Regular-season champion South Park jumped on South Hills early, taking advantage of errors and walks, and rolled to a victory at Evans Field in South Park.
Aaron Lapaglia and Tyler Grasshoff combined on a five-hitter for South Park, which scored two runs each in the first and third innings despite getting just one hit.
South Park scored two in the first on no hits and three walks, and added a pair in the third on one hit and two errors.
Logan Corrigan doubled twice and had three RBIs for South Park, which pulled away with a four-run sixth. Lapaglia scattered four hits over the first five innings, striking out seven and walking four.
Quinn Construction 11, Clancy's Pub 3 — Jim Pasquine pitched a five-hitter and drove in three runs to pace Quinn Construction's victory at Beedle Park.
Aside from the five hits, Pasquine survived six walks. He struck out five.
Quinn Construction erased a 3-0 deficit by scoring six runs in the third inning, sending 11 batters to the plate. Brooks Marzka's two-run single was among five hits, two walks and an error during the inning.
Pasquine had three hits, including two doubles, for Quinn Construction.
Rain postponed both scheduled games in the Pittsburgh National Amateur Baseball Association best-of-three championship series at Woodland Hills.
Clinton Cherokee leads Jefferson Hills, 1-0, in the 18-AA Division series, while North American Lions leads West View Wolfpack, 1-0, in the 18-A Division series.
No rescheduled dates were immediately announced for Sunday's rainouts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Winter weather advisory for Western Pa. in effect until Monday afternoon
- Defensive lineman commits to PSU during campus visit
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- Woman killed in Washington Township crash
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- ‘I almost left here’ says Highland Park woman who contracted flesh-eating bacteria
- Paying cost of attendance worries Power 5 schools large and small
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- Classes increasingly blend in technology in Western Pa. schools