Daily Courier roundup: Two DNL teams grab semifinal series lead
TribLIVE Sports Videos
South Park and Quinn Construction grabbed 2-1 leads in the best-of-five semifinal-round series of the Daily News League baseball playoffs Tuesday night.
Following a day off Wednesday, both series will resume Thursday.
At South Park's Evans Field, Adam Dodson drove in three runs, and Ben Nolan pitched five effective innings for South Park, which scored in each of the first four innings and beat South Hills, 10-4.
The teams will meet in Game 4 at 6:15 p.m. at Mellon Middle School in Mt. Lebanon.
Dodson's two-run double with two outs helped South Park to a 3-0 lead in the first. South Park scored two more runs in the second with two outs.
Carter Grote's two-run double keyed a three-run fourth for South Park, increasing its lead to 9-1.
South Park finished with 13 hits.
Nolan gave up one run and five hits, walked four and struck out five for South Park, which got three hits from Dodson and two each from Anthony Monaco and Logan Corrigan.
Brandon Whitfield hit a two-run homer in the sixth, and Jon O'Neill had two hits for South Hills.
At Jefferson Hills' Beedle Park, Corry Ryan bested Nick Opherman in a pitchers' duel to lead Quinn Construction to a 3-2 victory over Clancy's Pub.
Game 4 of the series is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Beedle Park.
Ryan overcame a bases-loaded jam in the sixth inning after giving up a pair of runs on consecutive two-out RBI doubles by Zack Galasso and Mark Tripson. Ryan then escaped runners on first and third with one out in the seventh.
Tony Kostelnik and Jim Pasquine had two hits apiece for Quinn Construction, which took a 2-0 lead in the first on an RBI double by Pasquine and Dan Campbell's sacrifice fly.
Quinn Construction stretched the lead to 3-0 in the second on an RBI single by Kostelnik.
Tripson and Mike Hustava had two hits each for Clancy's Pub.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- D.C. charges woman over armed protest
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- For Pitt men’s basketball team, trouble in paradise
- Leak of grand jury information could cost Attorney General Kane
- Freezing rain hits Western Pennsylvania, many accidents reported
- The bullet inside your body ‘becomes a part of you’
- Executive stayed busy with business, civic work