Fox Chapel golfer Diethrich prepares for Pennsylvania Open
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Davis Diethrich was a quiet but effective contributor for the Fox Chapel golf team the past two years. He hopes to quietly be a factor this week in his first Pennsylvania Open.
Davis is one of 62 amateurs competing in the 54-hole event, which carries a $40,000 purse and is set for Monday through Wednesday at the Country Club of York. The remainder of the players in the 120-man field are professionals.
“Going up against the pros won't be easy, but I am looking forward to it,” Diethrich said. “I am looking forward to testing my game.”
Diethrich, who will play at Rollins College in Winter Park, Fla., shot 71 in an Open qualifier at Greensburg Country Club. He was 3-under and leading through nine holes.
“I wasn't expecting much at the qualifier but played well,” he said. “The cut was at 73. There are so many good players in this field. It doesn't seem like too many younger guys; a lot of older pros. I just want to hold my own.”
Diethrich missed the cut in both the West Penn Open and West Penn Amateur.
Diethrich made sure colleges knew who he was. He sent out about 40 letters to prospective teams, and Rollins took the bait. He'll leave for Florida after the state Open.
The low 40 players and ties make the cut after 36 holes. The winner gets the Arnold Palmer Trophy.
Other players with All-Kiski Valley ties include Joe Boros of Saxonborg, Fox Chapel's Bob Friend, Oakmont pro Bob Ford, Oakmont member Spencer Mellon, Riverview grad and Brown senior Justin Miller, Kiski Area graduate Aaron Williams and Knoch grad Stefan Carlsson.
Jeannette's Ronald DeNunzio had to withdraw because he qualified for the U.S. Amateur.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Grease in Youngwood sewer system prompts another look at rule
- Roundup: Mazda recalls cars to fix tire pressure monitors; Wal-Mart’s top merchant out as key holiday nears; more
- DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
- Lower gasoline prices fail to spur consumer spending
- Rostraver business site ordered to close
- Retailers that won’t open on Thanksgiving hope move pays off
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Mon Valley preparing for Small Business Saturday
- No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57