Vasquez Jr. heads boxing show at Ice Garden
The last time Sammy Vasquez Jr. headlined a boxing show at The Ice Garden in Rostraver Township, he pummeled out-classed Austin Marcum in less than one round.
The quick knockout wasn't very popular with many people in the crowd who hoped to see a more competitive fight.
That shouldn't be the case Nov. 24 when Vasquez Jr. returns to headline Double Duty II at the Rostraver Township facility.
Vasquez Jr. (5-0, 3 KOs) will take on highly-regarded George Sosa (6-1, 6 KOs) of New Jersey in a scheduled six-round welterweight bout.
Sosa, a native of the Dominican Republic, suffered the first loss of his career last month when he dropped a controversial split decision to Emanuel Taylor (17-1).
“The first time we fought at the Ice Garden, Sammy's opponent was the third guy we were able to find at the last minute,” said Vasquez's father, Sam Sr., who is one of the show's promoters. “We had two other fighters back out and it gets frustrating. But Sosa is an up-and-comer like Sammy and this show be a big test for both of them.
“Sosa is the real deal. You have to make it attractive for the fans.”
Vasquez Jr. has been training out west and is scheduled to return to the Mid-Mon Valley soon, his father said.
“He is really excited,” Vasquez Sr. said. “Nobody gets more upset than him when guys back out on him. He is training hard and wants to put on a good show.”
Vasquez and Sosa will highlight a seven-fight professional card that includes Sgt. Jeffrey Spencer (3-0) and Andreas ‘The Greek” Kamouyerou in action.
The co-feature on the card has junior welterweights Jesus Saucedo (4-0) against Justin Johnson (3-3), of Clairton.
Kamouyerou is making his pro debut after a successful amateur career and will fight Tiered King of Akron, Ohio.
Another bout on the card will pit Steve Weimer (8-0), a stablemate of Saucedo, taking on journeyman Chris Gray (17-13) of Verona Beach, Fla., in a six-round bout.
Also on the card, fighting in the Masters Division, will be John “The Pride of Bloomfield” Ledasky against James Margh of Altoona, for the Masters Middleweight Championship.
The event will also feature a post-fight concert by The Hobbs Sisters.
The show is being promoted by Team Vasquez and A&D Promotions.
Tickets for the show range from $30 to $60 and can be purchased by calling Sammy Vasquez Sr. at 724-797-8694.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- UPMC McKeesport president reiterates hospital will remain open
- ‘Last of the downtown mansions’ demolished in McKeesport
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Latrobe’s Ci Medical Technologies transforms to medical device business
- Derry Township assault suspect arrested
- McKeesport man whose dog bit officer waives charges to court
- Dodgers rough up rusty starter Volquez, knock off Pirates at PNC Park
- TSA fee increase this week arrives with load of complaints
- Squirrel Hill street that had been paved getting another pave job
- Moody’s downgrades Pa. rating; Corbett ponders pension reform session
- Pirates notebook: Polanco, Puig held out of series opener