Seton grad Fischetti gears for ACC soccer
By Brian Knavish
Published: Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 8:51 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 29, 2012
The University of Pittsburgh athletic teams will move into the Atlantic Coast Conference next season.
That means Pitt's men's soccer team will switch from the Big East Conference to the Atlantic Coast Conference. Those are regarded as the two best men's soccer conferences in the country.
Seton-La Salle grad Alex Fischetti, a redshirt junior defender/midfielder at Pitt, says he's ready for the new challenge.
“I'm excited just to get to play a fifth year, and to get to play in the ACC,” said Fischetti, a Baldwin native. “I'm looking forward to next season. I've had the chance to play in the Big East for four years against some of the best teams in the country, and it's been fantastic. Now, it's one more year in a new conference against all new teams.”
Fischetti played in 14 games, starting 11, as the Panthers went 6-9-2 overall in 2012.
“With this team not losing many people and a core group coming back, I think we can do well in our first season in the ACC,” Fischetti said, “and show everyone that we can play with the top teams in the country.”
Brian Knavish is a freelance writer.
- Kovacevic: It doesn’t have to be this hard
- K-9 patrol to return to Lower Burrell police force
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- Penguins blow late lead, fall to Senators in 2OT
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Campus Clippings: Alle-Kiski players boost Allegheny College softball
- Goalie Anderson stands tall in Senators’ victory over Penguins
- Take your seats, tots: Choices in potty seats abound
- Penguins notebook: Vitale a no-go
- Polling stations may be changed for some voters
- Man attacked by dog in Carrick cemetery
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.