Seton grad Fischetti gears for ACC soccer
The University of Pittsburgh athletic teams will move into the Atlantic Coast Conference next season.
That means Pitt's men's soccer team will switch from the Big East Conference to the Atlantic Coast Conference. Those are regarded as the two best men's soccer conferences in the country.
Seton-La Salle grad Alex Fischetti, a redshirt junior defender/midfielder at Pitt, says he's ready for the new challenge.
“I'm excited just to get to play a fifth year, and to get to play in the ACC,” said Fischetti, a Baldwin native. “I'm looking forward to next season. I've had the chance to play in the Big East for four years against some of the best teams in the country, and it's been fantastic. Now, it's one more year in a new conference against all new teams.”
Fischetti played in 14 games, starting 11, as the Panthers went 6-9-2 overall in 2012.
“With this team not losing many people and a core group coming back, I think we can do well in our first season in the ACC,” Fischetti said, “and show everyone that we can play with the top teams in the country.”
Brian Knavish is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Chesney fans flood the North Shore to party
- Steelers sign last of eight players drafted in 2015
- Steelers nose tackle McCullers finds performance, fitness go hand in hand
- Hydraulic lift accident kills man in Wilkinsburg
- Padres snap Pirates’ 7-game win streak
- Pittsburgh roots shape former Md. governor’s outlook in run for president
- Hurdle says Pirates must eliminate defensive gaffes
- Steelers’ defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential
- Pirates notebook: Burnett rediscovers vintage form
- Pittsburgh’s HealthyRide system begins launch Sunday
- Former city police chief released from federal prison