Seton grad Fischetti gears for ACC soccer
By Brian Knavish
Published: Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2012, 8:51 p.m.
The University of Pittsburgh athletic teams will move into the Atlantic Coast Conference next season.
That means Pitt's men's soccer team will switch from the Big East Conference to the Atlantic Coast Conference. Those are regarded as the two best men's soccer conferences in the country.
Seton-La Salle grad Alex Fischetti, a redshirt junior defender/midfielder at Pitt, says he's ready for the new challenge.
“I'm excited just to get to play a fifth year, and to get to play in the ACC,” said Fischetti, a Baldwin native. “I'm looking forward to next season. I've had the chance to play in the Big East for four years against some of the best teams in the country, and it's been fantastic. Now, it's one more year in a new conference against all new teams.”
Fischetti played in 14 games, starting 11, as the Panthers went 6-9-2 overall in 2012.
“With this team not losing many people and a core group coming back, I think we can do well in our first season in the ACC,” Fischetti said, “and show everyone that we can play with the top teams in the country.”
Brian Knavish is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kovacevic: Enough of these Steelers already
- Jefferson Hospital to say ‘thank you’ with light-up night
- Santa spends the day in Steel Valley, the evening in Elizabeth
- Penguins players are not out looking for fights
- Penguins’ Orpik out; Neal to have phone hearing
- Steelers WR Brown says ‘I thought I had it clean’ after wild, near-miss finish
- Steelers’ NFL playoff hopes are all but gone in loss to Dolphins
- Likely loss of Steelers draft pick looms because of Tomlin misstep
- Multi-vehicle crash closes Route 22 in Murrysville
- Fatal crash shuts down Bigelow Blvd. in Pittsburgh
- Defensive lapses against Dolphins outweigh positives for Steelers