Seton grad Fischetti gears for ACC soccer
The University of Pittsburgh athletic teams will move into the Atlantic Coast Conference next season.
That means Pitt's men's soccer team will switch from the Big East Conference to the Atlantic Coast Conference. Those are regarded as the two best men's soccer conferences in the country.
Seton-La Salle grad Alex Fischetti, a redshirt junior defender/midfielder at Pitt, says he's ready for the new challenge.
“I'm excited just to get to play a fifth year, and to get to play in the ACC,” said Fischetti, a Baldwin native. “I'm looking forward to next season. I've had the chance to play in the Big East for four years against some of the best teams in the country, and it's been fantastic. Now, it's one more year in a new conference against all new teams.”
Fischetti played in 14 games, starting 11, as the Panthers went 6-9-2 overall in 2012.
“With this team not losing many people and a core group coming back, I think we can do well in our first season in the ACC,” Fischetti said, “and show everyone that we can play with the top teams in the country.”
Brian Knavish is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jury acquits defendant in Mt. Oliver murder case
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger remains in concussion protocol
- Agreement on Scaife personal information clears way for will dispute to proceed
- Driver fined almost $700 in fatal Apollo pedestrian accident
- Downtown barbershop target of racial-slur graffiti
- Council votes to ban tobacco use in Pittsburgh parks
- Authorities recover rifle used to kill Westmoreland police officer
- Founder of Z&M Cycle Sales in Hempfield killed in Florida motorcycle crash
- Penguins’ reshuffled top line of Crosby, Dupuis, Kunitz looks familiar
- Shell closing Franklin Park office next year
- Kane turns to former Maryland attorney general to lead porn email probe