Thomas Jefferson junior lauded as PIHL player of the month
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Did you know that:
• Thomas Jefferson's Zach Uhlyar, a junior forward, was honored as a PIHL player of the month for November?
Uhlyar, who accounted for 12 goals and 15 assists in November, was joined by Bishop Canevin goaltender Nikita Meskin, Latrobe forward Josh Singley and Pine-Richland forward Zach Richey as PIHL players of the month.
“Zach's play this season has been a big reason why our team had such a good start,” Bill Crousey, TJ's head coach, said. “While helping the team to a winning record, he was able to lead the league in scoring during November. This helped get the team off to its best start in years.
“However, he has done more than just score. He plays both ends of the rink, and is very supportive of his teammates. His biggest strength is the way he is able to see the ice and put himself in the right position to make a play to help the team. He is very driven to see the team do well and understands individual awards are great, but it's how we do as team that matters.”
• A.J. Greco, a 6-foot-1 senior guard on the Baldwin boys' basketball team, totaled 45 points in recent back-to-back home games?
Greco scored 25 points in a 53-47 nonsection loss to Norwin, then turned in a 20-point performance in a 60-52 setback to Upper St. Clair in a Section 4-AAAA game.
Greco gunned in six treys against the Panthers. He was complemented offensively by senior swingman Jake Michaels, who finished with 16 points, and junior forward Arnes Bajgora, with 10 points.
• Thomas Jefferson senior Thor Henze posted three falls in winning the 285-pound division title at the recent Steve DeAugustino holiday wrestling classic?
“Thor wrestled very good in his first two matches (both falls), then became a little to laxed on his third match against the Mt. Lebanon heavyweight. We told him to take it to the North Hills heavyweight (in the finals); he pinned him in the second period,” Rudy Nesbitt, TJ's head coach, said. “He's shooting good this year, and is setting up pinning combinations.”
• Henze finished second at 285 in the Tool City tournament to go to 11-2 on the year?
Teammate Jason McKown placed fifth in his weight class to go to 10-4.
• Baldwin's Fallon Ferrari is a dual-sport athlete again this winter?
Ferrari again is competing for the Baldwin gymnastics team and as a diver in the Lady Highlanders' swimming program.
• The Seton-La Salle boys' and girls' varsity basketball teams opened the week with a combined 17-3 record?
The Lady Rebels were 8-1 on the year; the Rebels checked in at 9-2 overall.
• Thomas Jefferson product Skylar Williams is a junior guard on the Bethany College women's basketball team?
Williams, who is a physical education major, ranks among the team leaders in assists and steals. She also averages 4.5 rebounds per game.
• Baldwin's girls' basketball team jumped out to an 8-0 lead against Canon-McMillan in a Section 4-AAAA matchup last week?
Catalysts for Baldwin were junior guard Nikki Corcoran and sophomore guard Amanda Larkin, with senior guard Mandi Johnston contributing a pair of assists.
Baldwin went on to defeat the visitors, 43-36, behind Johnston's game-high 17 points. Corcoran and Larkin ended up with 10 points apiece.
• The Lady Highlanders' starting lineup consists of four juniors — Johnston, Corcoran, Taylor Letender and Liz Spegar — and one sophomore — Larkin?
Johnston and Corcoran finished in double figures in each of Baldwin's two games in the recent Betsy Invitational.
Johnston connected for 30 points in the two-day event; Corcoran finished with 27.
• Seton-La Salle's girls' basketball team remained No. 1 in Class AA in the Trib Total Media weekly rankings?
• Brentwood senior Jason Pilarski scored 63 points in the two-day Riverview holiday basketball tournament?
Pilarski netted a career-best 36 points against Valley in the first round.
The 6-foot guard led the Spartans to the tournament title with a 27-point performance versus Riverview in the local team's 60-41 win in the title game.
• TJ's Ben Miscavage produced the “signature moment” in the Jaguars' recent section win against Elizabeth Forward?
Late in the first quarter, the junior guard swished in a 75-foot shot.
“Unbelievable moment,” Dom DeCicco, Thomas Jefferson's veteran head coach, said.
• Through eight games, Thomas Jefferson's Joe Carroll ranked among the leading scorers in the WPIAL Class AAA boys' division with a 16.1 ppg average?
• The Allegheny County wrestling championships, Westmoreland County Coaches Association tournament and Tri-County tournament will take place this weekend?
• Brentwood's Delaney Daly finished with 18 points, followed by by Laura McGowan's 15, in a recent 60-26 victory against California?
• Junior forward Chase Winovich led the Jaguars overall with 18 points and 10 rebounds against the Warriors.
“(He) was a bull in a China shop,” DeCicco said.
• Baldwin sophomore Devontae Evans placed third at 220 pounds in the Southmoreland holiday wrestling classic?
• Seton-La Salle's boys' basketball team dropped from second to fifth in Class AA in the Trib Total Media weekly rankings following a 56-52 loss to North Catholic in the Don Graham Classic?
• State champions North Allegheny and Erie Cathedral Prep finished in the top 25 in the USA Today's final 2012 high school football rankings?
Class AAAA North Allegheny ended up 13th. Class AAA Eric Cathedral Prep placed 17th.
• Key reserves on Baldwin's girls' basketball team include Tori Johnston, a 5-4 junior guard, plus freshmen Carly Lutz, a 6-foot forward, and Kayla Eberst, a 5-5 guard?
• Thomas Jefferson's Braden Flinn finished fourth at 113 pounds in the Steve DeAugustino holiday wrestling classic?
Teammates Dom Devine (106) and Byron Minous (170) both placed sixth.
• Through nine games, Thomas Jefferson's Alexis Yanief ranked among the leading scorers in the WPIAL Class AAA girls' division with a 14.8 ppg average?
• Baldwin senior Stefan Ayers' future plans include becoming a chiropractor?
Ayers, a 6-1 guard, is one of four seniors on the Highlanders' hoops team.
• Seton-La Salle's girls' basketball team has won 39 of its past 40 games?
The Lady Rebels also have won 62 of their past 64 contests.
• Baldwin product Phil Einwag is a junior guard and a business major on the Carnegie Mellon University men's basketball team?
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Starkey: Parents provide Cervelli’s inspiration
- Supreme Court justices ream EPA for ignoring costs to meet air standards
- Pittsburgh Public Works supervisor disciplined for text message
- More witness intimidation charges filed against Plum teacher
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Coach helps ex-McKeesport star Marshall keep NBA dream alive
- Murrysville native Bullock vying for health magazine’s ‘Next Fitness Star’
- Daily Courier roundup: Connellsville tops Farmington
- Downie, Ehrhoff lead list of likely Penguins leaving in free agency
- 80 percent of drivers found exceeding speed limit in Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park
- St. Vincent professor, students use interviews to refresh drug addiction data