Greco, Bajgora combine for 52 points against Peters Township
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Did you know that:
• Baldwin's A.J. Greco and Arnes Bajgora clicked for 52 points in a 60-52 section victory in overtime against Peters Township last week?
Greco, a 6-foot senior guard, poured in 28 points including five treys, while Bajgora, a 6-4 junior forward, added 24.
The Highlanders outscored the visitors by a 12-4 difference in overtime.
• Two local senior athletes — Baldwin's Dorian Brown and Thomas Jefferson's Zach Schademan — were named to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's “Terrific 25” all-star football team for 2012?
Brown, a 5-foot-10, 190-pound running back, rushed for 1,059 yards and scored 12 touchdowns.
Schademan, a 5-11, 170-pound wide receiver/defensive back, led the WPIAL with 21 touchdown catches, and had 51 receptions for 1,120 yards overall.
• Brentwood's Laura McGowan outscored the entire Northgate team in a 59-21 nonsection win at home last week?
McGowan, a 5-10 junior forward, finished with a 22-point total. Delaney Daly, a 5-6 freshman guard/forward, added 12 for the Lady Spartans.
• Baldwin's Jim Wehner has been tabbed to coach in the Big 33 Football Classic?
“I coached in the East-West (all-star) game four years ago. This will be my first Big 33 game. It's nice to be nominated by the other coaches in the state,” Wehner said.
Baldwin grad Art Walker, North Allegheny's field boss, has been named head coach of the Pennsylvania team. Wehner is one of five coaches named as Walker's assistants.
The 56th edition of the high school all-star football game, pitting all-stars from Pennsylvania against Maryland, will be held June 15 at 7 p.m. at HersheyPark Stadium.
• At the start of this week, the Seton-La Salle boys' varsity basketball team had won 11 of its past 12 games, while Thomas Jefferson's boys' basketball team had won nine of its past 10 contests?
“Our team is progressing nicely. We're continuing to get a contribution from a number of different players,” said Mark Walsh, Seton-La Salle's second-year floor boss.
“There are a number of unsung heroes on our team who are doing all the important things that our making our team successful. We are excited about our season.”
• Thomas Jefferson's girls' basketball team defeated rival West Mifflin, 50-43, in a Section 4-AAA matchup earlier this week?
Junior guard Alexis Yanief and senior forward Jesse Hinkle led the Lady Jaguars with 21 and 17 points, respectively.
The TJ girls outscored the Lady Titans by a 23-10 margin in the decisive fourth quarter.
• Josh Taylor has joined Rick Huffman as an assistant coach in the Brentwood boys' basketball program?
Taylor is a former Brentwood and Eastern Kentuckybasketball standout.
• Brentwood's girls' basketball team ran past Brashear, 69-14, in a nonsection game earlier this week?
Alecia Folino, a freshman guard, paced the Lady Spartans with 22 points. She was complemented by McGowan (18 points) and senior guard Meghan Gildea (14 points).
• Amanda Larkin and Taylor Duchon paced Baldwin's girls' basketball team in a recent 52-35 nonsection win against Connellsville?
Larkin, a sophomore guard, finished with a game-high 12 points. Duchon, a junior forward, added 10.
• Dom DiMattia, head coach of Thomas Jefferson's girls' basketball team, has more than 50 years of experience both as a player and coach?
His assistants are Craig D'Alessandro and Krystal Shirk, a former TJ basketball standout.
• Brentwood senior guard Jason Pilarski netted 25 points in a 56-44 section win at Bishop Canevin last week?
• The perfect vacation for Alex Hasis, a senior guard/forward on the TJ girls' basketball team, is a trip to Bora Bora?
• The two seniors on the TJ girls' basketball team, Hasis and Hinkle, have been playing hoops together since the fourth grade?
Hinkle's hidden talent is disco dancing. She also is a member of the Girl Scouts.
• Dom DeCicco, head coach of Thomas Jefferson's boys' basketball program, is assisted by Bob Macosko, Dave Alderson and Bill Corbin?
• Nicolette Newman, a sophomore guard for the Seton-La Salle Lady Rebels, collected 21 points in last week's 83-34 section victory against Steel Valley?
Seton-La Salle held a 51-14 halftime advantage against the Lady Ironmen.
“We didn't like how we played defensively in the first half because, no matter who you play, 51 points in the first half is unacceptable,” Kelly Sabo, Steel Valley's head coach, said. “The girls knew that, and they came out and played much better defensively in the second half.”
• Yanief's favorite food is chocolate, while Haley Kutscher's favorite food item is popcorn?
Yanief and Kutschner are junior guards on the TJ girls' basketball team.
• Pine-Richland in Class AAA, Hopewell in Class AA and Neshannock in Class A won the inaugural WPIAL competitive spirit cheerleading championships?
The PIAA cheerleading championships will take place Feb. 2 at the Giant Center in Hershey.
• Thomas Jefferson sophomore guards Paige Risley and Sara Mackulin share a hidden talent of baking?
• Mackulin and TJ teammate Danielle Redmond, a sophomore guard, both play the piano?
• Former Baldwin hoops star Belma Nurkic is a sophomore guard on the Duquesne University women's basketball team?
Nurkic was an all-state selection and MSA Sports player of the year at Baldwin.
• The Seton-La Salle Lady Rebels jumped out to first-quarter leads of 10-0 and 16-3 against Bishop Canevin in their section showdown Monday night?
• Head coach Mark Wroblewski is in his 13th year at the helm of the Brentwood High School swimming program?
• One of TJ senior forward Adam Miller's nicknames is Twiggy?
• Schademan's favorite hobby is cooking?
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Wiz Khalifa’s life not the same, but he’s still having fun
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- U.S. Steel looks to expand its Research & Technology Center in Munhall
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- ‘Bangerz’ tour a long way from ‘Hannah Montana’ for Miley Cyrus
- Fire causes Blairsville bar to collapse, flames spread to neighboring building