The spring-like weather we experienced …
Published: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 16, 2013
The spring-like weather we experienced recently provided a brief respite from the normally frigid winter days, and also reminded me that golf season isn't too far away.
Baldwin's indoor golf facility, located in the Wallace Building, offers area golfers an opportunity to practice and possibly perfect their game.
There is no admission fee to use the facility, which was the brainchild of Baldwin golf coach Jim Stanko.
The golf facility consists of hitting nets, a putting green, chipping green and sand trap, exercise rooms, as well as other unique features.
It is open to adults on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:30 to 4 p.m., and to students on Mondays from 4 to 6 p.m., and Wednesdays 4 to 8 p.m.
The facility also is open to the public on Saturdays from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
For questions or more information, contact Stanko at 412-952-9597.
Gibson scores 1,000th career point
Naje Gibson, a 6-foot junior forward, has joined Seton-La Salle teammate Angela Heintz in the 1,000-point club.
Gibson recently registered her 1,000th career point in her third season as a varsity starter for the Lady Rebels.
Heintz, a senior guard and Duquesne University recruit, hit the 1,000-point mark earlier this season.
“We have some tough games coming up and we are trying to get mentally and physically prepared for those stretches of games,” John Ashaolu, Seton-La Salle's head coach, said. “Our practices have slowed down a bit because there is a lot of teaching. We are continuing to work on our fundamentals.”
One of those “tough” games took place Monday at Bishop Canevin, as Seton stormed past its rival, 66-35, behind Gibson's game-high 19 points.
Sophomore guard Nicolette Newman added 14 points, including four treys.
“As a coaching staff, we are stressing details to the girls,” Ashaolu said. “We want them to focus on doing the little things such as talking on defense, boxing out and setting screens.”
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or email@example.com.
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- 16-year-old girl shot and killed on Rankin street
- Penguins notebook: Tickets for Eastern Conference final on sale today
- Smoking in school costs man more than a fine
- Pirates waste strong Burnett start, fall again to Brewers at Miller Park
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Senators notebook: MacLean puts onus on veterans
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.