Puerto Rican boxer Orlando Cruz announces he's gay
TribLIVE Sports Videos
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Puerto Rican featherweight Orlando Cruz has announced he is gay, making him what is believed to be the first openly homosexual pro boxer.
Cruz tells The Associated Press he is relieved about his decision and had initial reservations about coming out in what he calls a "macho" sport. The announcement comes two weeks before Cruz challenges Mexico's Jorge Pazos for the WBO Latino title.
Cruz is ranked as the WBO's No. 4 featherweight. He is 18-2-1 with nine knockouts.
He says in an interview Thursday that he met with psychologists before making his announcement and adds he has the full support of his family, trainer and manager.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers to bring LB Harrison out of retirement
- PennDOT puts 14 Alle-Kiski Valley bridges on list to be replaced
- Freeport dock bid exceeds resources
- Harrison OKs antenna zoning change
- Steelers defense must replace three injured starters after victory
- Flag holders stolen off veterans’ graves in Lower Burrell cemetery
- Apollo-Ridge middle school library project gains STEAM
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Cloverleaf bridge work to resume after change
- Red Wings beat Penguins, 2-1, in preseason opener
- Taxes at forefront of 1st Pa. governor debate between Corbett, Wolf