Puerto Rican boxer Orlando Cruz announces he's gay
TribLIVE Sports Videos
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Puerto Rican featherweight Orlando Cruz has announced he is gay, making him what is believed to be the first openly homosexual pro boxer.
Cruz tells The Associated Press he is relieved about his decision and had initial reservations about coming out in what he calls a "macho" sport. The announcement comes two weeks before Cruz challenges Mexico's Jorge Pazos for the WBO Latino title.
Cruz is ranked as the WBO's No. 4 featherweight. He is 18-2-1 with nine knockouts.
He says in an interview Thursday that he met with psychologists before making his announcement and adds he has the full support of his family, trainer and manager.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Westmoreland land bank purchases former Monsour Hospital property
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Arrest made in connection with Rostraver home invasion
- Ferrante cyanide trial resumes with ER doctor testifying
- Nationwide drug ring was centered in Homewood, prosecutor says
- Primanti Bros. to mail sandwiches nationwide
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Red Wings rally, shock Penguins in overtime
- Report linking field surface to cancer elicits Mt. Lebanon protest