Puerto Rican boxer Orlando Cruz announces he's gay
TribLIVE Sports Videos
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Puerto Rican featherweight Orlando Cruz has announced he is gay, making him what is believed to be the first openly homosexual pro boxer.
Cruz tells The Associated Press he is relieved about his decision and had initial reservations about coming out in what he calls a "macho" sport. The announcement comes two weeks before Cruz challenges Mexico's Jorge Pazos for the WBO Latino title.
Cruz is ranked as the WBO's No. 4 featherweight. He is 18-2-1 with nine knockouts.
He says in an interview Thursday that he met with psychologists before making his announcement and adds he has the full support of his family, trainer and manager.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- EPA says it won’t reguluate coal ash as hazardous waste
- Pitt’s acting athletic director is deft facilitator
- Position move fits Pitt sophomore Artis
- Real estate union: Howard Hanna buys Langholz Wilson Ellis
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Shady Side Academy torments Apollo-Ridge, moves to 3-0
- Penn Township man who shot friend gets probation
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- United Way surplus funds benefit 9 nonprofits in Westmoreland County
- Hotel building boom sweeps Pittsburgh region
- DC local roundup: Connellsville boys basketball earns first win of the season