Puerto Rican boxer Orlando Cruz announces he's gay
TribLIVE Sports Videos
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Puerto Rican featherweight Orlando Cruz has announced he is gay, making him what is believed to be the first openly homosexual pro boxer.
Cruz tells The Associated Press he is relieved about his decision and had initial reservations about coming out in what he calls a "macho" sport. The announcement comes two weeks before Cruz challenges Mexico's Jorge Pazos for the WBO Latino title.
Cruz is ranked as the WBO's No. 4 featherweight. He is 18-2-1 with nine knockouts.
He says in an interview Thursday that he met with psychologists before making his announcement and adds he has the full support of his family, trainer and manager.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates fall short in bid for Lester, who’s traded to Oakland
- EPA talks on pollution limits trigger protests, arrests Downtown
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Pa. senator investigates Rocky Mountain high at taxpayers’ expense
- Man’s body found in fire debris of Blairsville restaurant
- It’s lights out for Bayer sign on Mt. Washington
- Ailing youngster has wish fulfilled in day with Masontown K-9 officer
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Oakland eatery Fuel & Fuddle to reopen under new owners
- Spaling, Penguins agree to $4.4 million deal
- 2 more charged in PennDOT corruption investigation