Puerto Rican boxer Orlando Cruz announces he's gay
TribLIVE Sports Videos
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Puerto Rican featherweight Orlando Cruz has announced he is gay, making him what is believed to be the first openly homosexual pro boxer.
Cruz tells The Associated Press he is relieved about his decision and had initial reservations about coming out in what he calls a "macho" sport. The announcement comes two weeks before Cruz challenges Mexico's Jorge Pazos for the WBO Latino title.
Cruz is ranked as the WBO's No. 4 featherweight. He is 18-2-1 with nine knockouts.
He says in an interview Thursday that he met with psychologists before making his announcement and adds he has the full support of his family, trainer and manager.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Castle-area racino remains in limbo
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Westmoreland County Transit Authority to buy 12 minibuses
- Carnegie Mellon University’s Speck device monitors indoor pollution
- 17 Pennsylvania veterans inducted into Hall of Valor
- Germanwings flight co-pilot Lubitz worried about job security, officials say
- Shortfalls sabotage promise of union retirees’ pensions
- Players, casinos pan IRS idea to track more slot payouts
- ATV rider injured in Stewaert Twp. mishap
- U.N. Watch: The Gaza follies