Lakers spurn Jackson, hire D'Antoni as coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — Pau Gasol got home from the game and read about it on Twitter, while Dwight Howard got a midnight message on his BlackBerry. They shared most Los Angeles Lakers fans' mix of surprise, trepidation and anticipation.
Just when everybody thought the Lakers were getting back together with Phil Jackson, they switched course in the middle of the night and went with Mike D'Antoni.
What a weekend in Hollywood — and the real drama isn't over yet.
The Lakers reacted with ample excitement and a little bewilderment Monday to their front office's surprising decision to hire D'Antoni as coach Mike Brown's replacement over Jackson, the 11-time champion who discussed the job at his home Saturday and apparently wanted to return. D'Antoni didn't even interview for the job in person, speaking to the Lakers over the phone.
“It has been crazy, but all this stuff will just make this team stronger,” said Howard, who has been in a Lakers uniform for about six weeks.
The Lakers' third coach in four days won't take over the team until later in the week. D'Antoni still hadn't been cleared to travel Monday after undergoing knee replacement surgery earlier in the month, although the Lakers are optimistic the former Knicks and Suns coach will arrive in Los Angeles on Wednesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery sent explicit emails
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- West Newton man found dead in helicopter wreckage near Rostraver Airport
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Coroner identifies Cranberry woman who died in McConnells Mill fall
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Indiana County authorities investigate suspected homicide in Blairsville
- Toomey joins chorus criticizing Goddard College for inviting Abu-Jamal to speak
- Hotel continues to pursue anti-trust case against UPMC, Highmark
- More hearings ordered for Sunoco pipeline across Pennsylvania