Lakers spurn Jackson, hire D'Antoni as coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — Pau Gasol got home from the game and read about it on Twitter, while Dwight Howard got a midnight message on his BlackBerry. They shared most Los Angeles Lakers fans' mix of surprise, trepidation and anticipation.
Just when everybody thought the Lakers were getting back together with Phil Jackson, they switched course in the middle of the night and went with Mike D'Antoni.
What a weekend in Hollywood — and the real drama isn't over yet.
The Lakers reacted with ample excitement and a little bewilderment Monday to their front office's surprising decision to hire D'Antoni as coach Mike Brown's replacement over Jackson, the 11-time champion who discussed the job at his home Saturday and apparently wanted to return. D'Antoni didn't even interview for the job in person, speaking to the Lakers over the phone.
“It has been crazy, but all this stuff will just make this team stronger,” said Howard, who has been in a Lakers uniform for about six weeks.
The Lakers' third coach in four days won't take over the team until later in the week. D'Antoni still hadn't been cleared to travel Monday after undergoing knee replacement surgery earlier in the month, although the Lakers are optimistic the former Knicks and Suns coach will arrive in Los Angeles on Wednesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt to play Notre Dame 5 times over next 11 seasons
- Tomlin: Possible Steelers midseason surge won’t come easy vs. Colts
- Amid struggles, top fiscal executive to leave EDMC
- 7 in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- Grant to help CMU spinoff start production
- Point Breeze couple surprised with 2nd honeymoon by Ellen DeGeneres
- Beechview man arrested on child pornography charges
- Hundreds mourn Pittsburgh trash collector killed by gunfire
- 8 selected thus far for jury in Ferrante trial
- GCC’s Zambruno, Sewickley Academy’s Li win PIAA golf titles
- Judge makes August Wilson center sale official