Lakers spurn Jackson, hire D'Antoni as coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — Pau Gasol got home from the game and read about it on Twitter, while Dwight Howard got a midnight message on his BlackBerry. They shared most Los Angeles Lakers fans' mix of surprise, trepidation and anticipation.
Just when everybody thought the Lakers were getting back together with Phil Jackson, they switched course in the middle of the night and went with Mike D'Antoni.
What a weekend in Hollywood — and the real drama isn't over yet.
The Lakers reacted with ample excitement and a little bewilderment Monday to their front office's surprising decision to hire D'Antoni as coach Mike Brown's replacement over Jackson, the 11-time champion who discussed the job at his home Saturday and apparently wanted to return. D'Antoni didn't even interview for the job in person, speaking to the Lakers over the phone.
“It has been crazy, but all this stuff will just make this team stronger,” said Howard, who has been in a Lakers uniform for about six weeks.
The Lakers' third coach in four days won't take over the team until later in the week. D'Antoni still hadn't been cleared to travel Monday after undergoing knee replacement surgery earlier in the month, although the Lakers are optimistic the former Knicks and Suns coach will arrive in Los Angeles on Wednesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- Rossi: Brawl for ADs between Pitt and WVU
- Analysis: Misunderstood Chryst served Pitt well
- Giant Eagle Inc. appears to have settled ‘fuelperks!’ lawsuit
- Penguins’ Maatta tests positive for mumps; Bortuzzo, Greiss negative
- Uniontown man charged with raping 2 girls
- Review: No improper contact between Pa. Supreme Court justices, lawyers
- Western Pa. utility workers OK contract with FirstEnergy
- Time is of essence for Pitt in finding football coach, athletic director