McKees Rocks boxer Spadafora eyes golden opportunity
By Kevin Gorman
Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 9:22 p.m.
Updated: Friday, March 29, 2013
Paul Spadafora has an undefeated record, a No. 11 WBA world ranking and a date as the main event at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack and Resort.
What the McKees Rocks boxer needs next is a win over a world-ranked opponent. Spadafora (46-0-1, 19 knockouts) will get that opportunity when he fights Solomon Egberime (22-3-1, 11 KOs) in a scheduled 10-round junior welterweight bout Saturday night at the Harv.
Egberime, a Nigerian who fights out of Australia, is ranked No. 14 by WBO.
“This is the biggest step that I've taken in a long time,” said Spadafora, the former IBF lightweight champion, at a news conference at Latitude 40 in Robinson. “I need to get a win. I don't have time to wait around. This is the first time since I was a champion (in 2003) that Pittsburgh has had two world-ranked fighters going against each other.”
TNT Promotions, which is putting on the card, is predicting that Spadafora will crack the top 10 of the world rankings with a victory.
“He can't afford a setback right now,” promoter Roy Jones Jr. said. “Everybody wants to see what he does against a world-ranked opponent. This is his showcase.”
The undercard features Rankin's Monty Meza-Clay, Monaca's Morgan Fitch and Sheraden's Bill Hutchinson.
Kevin Gorman is a staffwriter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-320-7812.
- Magistrate says diner can stay
- Munhall saves Hays Mansion
- Apple deal pads Eliz. Forward’s technology arsenal
- Clairton to take stand against violence
- Munhall mayor wants manager to return
- Judge deals setback to Steelers’ quest to expand Heinz Field
- Contractor charged with theft from Jeannette
- Grand jury continues investigation in meeting with former Ravenstahl bodyguard
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle says offense needs to get rolling
- Kids briefs: Snowball Day coming to Carnegie Science Center
- Billy Price has lots of help to keep him staying ‘Strong’