McKees Rocks boxer Spadafora eyes golden opportunity
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Paul Spadafora has an undefeated record, a No. 11 WBA world ranking and a date as the main event at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack and Resort.
What the McKees Rocks boxer needs next is a win over a world-ranked opponent. Spadafora (46-0-1, 19 knockouts) will get that opportunity when he fights Solomon Egberime (22-3-1, 11 KOs) in a scheduled 10-round junior welterweight bout Saturday night at the Harv.
Egberime, a Nigerian who fights out of Australia, is ranked No. 14 by WBO.
“This is the biggest step that I've taken in a long time,” said Spadafora, the former IBF lightweight champion, at a news conference at Latitude 40 in Robinson. “I need to get a win. I don't have time to wait around. This is the first time since I was a champion (in 2003) that Pittsburgh has had two world-ranked fighters going against each other.”
TNT Promotions, which is putting on the card, is predicting that Spadafora will crack the top 10 of the world rankings with a victory.
“He can't afford a setback right now,” promoter Roy Jones Jr. said. “Everybody wants to see what he does against a world-ranked opponent. This is his showcase.”
The undercard features Rankin's Monty Meza-Clay, Monaca's Morgan Fitch and Sheraden's Bill Hutchinson.
Kevin Gorman is a staffwriter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-320-7812.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- With most starters resting, Steelers turn in lackluster loss at Heinz
- Steelers laud decision, praise Brady for taking on Goodell
- Pa. welfare workers threatened with firings over financial forms
- Through the years: Armstrong Central opened with victory in 1990
- Experts warn Kane’s Haiti trip might jeopardize any case from 2014 wiretap
- The Clarks go back to their roots with new album ‘Rewind’
- Five details you shouldn’t give Facebook
- Officials offer tips to Scott residents after coyote sightings
- Freeport Area to explore options for storing maintenance equipment
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates