Beckham wins 2nd MLS title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
CARSON, Calif. — Landon Donovan scored the tiebreaking goal on a penalty kick in the 65th minute, and David Beckham left MLS as a two-time champion with the Los Angeles Galaxy's 3-1 victory over the Houston Dynamo in the MLS Cup on Saturday.
Omar Gonzalez tied it in the 61st minute with a long header for the Galaxy, who defended their title in a rematch of last season's championship game.
With a stirring second-half surge capped by Robbie Keane's goal on another penalty kick in injury time, Los Angeles won its fourth MLS Cup, tying D.C. United for the most.
The Galaxy also gave an appropriate farewell to Beckham, the 37-year-old English midfielder who transformed the league and his team over six seasons in Los Angeles. Beckham will play elsewhere in the new year before eventually returning to MLS as a team owner, but he hasn't disclosed his immediate plans.
After Calen Carr put Houston ahead in the 44th minute, Beckham and his high-scoring teammates systematically broke down the defense of the Dynamo, who lost the MLS Cup, 1-0, to Los Angeles on the same field last year.
After Keane's goal clinched it, Beckham left the game to a raucous standing ovation from the packed stadium amid chants of “Thank you, David!” Beckham hugged Galaxy coach Bruce Arena, who won his fourth MLS title, and just about everybody on the Galaxy bench before the game ended moments later.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pens get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Winfield man is one of a few to attend all 49 Super Bowl games
- Springdale puts limits on adult businesses
- Plum’s 1st property tax hike since 2006 could reach 6.2%
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Plum School Board OKS teachers contract
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Charleroi preps for showdown
- Second career choice leads to business ownership in Charleroi
- Cal U’s 22 Pushups effort draws attention to suicide by veterans