NBA notebook: Mavericks coach Adelman returns after 3-week absence
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Rick Adelman is back on the court and coaching basketball after three weeks away to help his wife through a health scare. His Minnesota Timberwolves lost nine of 11 games without him to fall behind in the powerful Western Conference playoff race.
• The Boston Celtics return to practice Tuesday without All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo. He's out for the season with a right knee injury that requires surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Coach Doc Rivers must decide who will bring the ball upcourt from a group that includes Courtney Lee, Jason Terry and Leandro Barbosa.
• There still is no set date for the return of injured Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul, coach Vinny Del Negro. “Day to day, no timetable,” Del Negro said of Paul, the team's star playmaker who remains out of the lineup because of a bruised right kneecap.
• Kyrie Irving capped an incredible week with a deserved award. Cleveland's electrifying guard was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week after leading the NBA in scoring and carrying the Cavs to three straight wins. In the three games, Irving averaged 35.7 points. This is first time Irving has been named player of the week.
• Former Pitt forward Sam Young re-signed with the Indiana Pacers, three weeks after being released by the club. Young, a four-year veteran, made the team out of training camp and appeared in 28 games before being waived Jan. 6. He was averaging 3.6 points and 2.9 rebounds.
• Dallas sent Jared Cunningham back to their NBA Development League team. Cunningham has played in eight games for the Mavericks, averaging two points and 3 minutes.
— Wire reports
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins rally late but lose to Panthers, 4-3, in shootout
- Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium schedules six-week closure
- Steelers film session: Playoff off coverage holds off Chiefs
- McKeesport graduate Brown has found his role for Boston College
- Dixon says starters playing too much for Pitt basketball team
- Penn State strolls to 69-49 victory over Dartmouth
- Steelers linebackers are getting to quarterback with more regularity
- Pitt recruit Whitehead remains committed
- Pirates win bidding for Korean infielder
- Daily News roundup: Elizabeth Forward girls hold off Obama Academy
- Changes abound at Uncle Charley’s Sausage, but taste isn’t one of them