NBA notebook: Mavericks coach Adelman returns after 3-week absence
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Rick Adelman is back on the court and coaching basketball after three weeks away to help his wife through a health scare. His Minnesota Timberwolves lost nine of 11 games without him to fall behind in the powerful Western Conference playoff race.
• The Boston Celtics return to practice Tuesday without All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo. He's out for the season with a right knee injury that requires surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Coach Doc Rivers must decide who will bring the ball upcourt from a group that includes Courtney Lee, Jason Terry and Leandro Barbosa.
• There still is no set date for the return of injured Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul, coach Vinny Del Negro. “Day to day, no timetable,” Del Negro said of Paul, the team's star playmaker who remains out of the lineup because of a bruised right kneecap.
• Kyrie Irving capped an incredible week with a deserved award. Cleveland's electrifying guard was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week after leading the NBA in scoring and carrying the Cavs to three straight wins. In the three games, Irving averaged 35.7 points. This is first time Irving has been named player of the week.
• Former Pitt forward Sam Young re-signed with the Indiana Pacers, three weeks after being released by the club. Young, a four-year veteran, made the team out of training camp and appeared in 28 games before being waived Jan. 6. He was averaging 3.6 points and 2.9 rebounds.
• Dallas sent Jared Cunningham back to their NBA Development League team. Cunningham has played in eight games for the Mavericks, averaging two points and 3 minutes.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates grind out extra-inning win against testy Tigers
- Sarra has made a career out of achieving
- Shopping season starts up for Penguins amid onset of free agency
- Connellsville board hikes taxes, adds to layoffs
- Union to work while ATI talks continue
- Uniontown man takes plea deal in assault, Connellsville robberies
- Fayette County Fair won’t be disrupted by Route 119 project
- Gameday: Pirates at Detroit, July 1, 2015
- Oklahoma Borough drilling, supply owner to stand trial for stealing natural gas
- Bridge dedicated to mark completion of Butler-Freeport Community Trail
- Obama overtime proposal slammed