NBA notebook: Mavericks coach Adelman returns after 3-week absence
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Rick Adelman is back on the court and coaching basketball after three weeks away to help his wife through a health scare. His Minnesota Timberwolves lost nine of 11 games without him to fall behind in the powerful Western Conference playoff race.
• The Boston Celtics return to practice Tuesday without All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo. He's out for the season with a right knee injury that requires surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Coach Doc Rivers must decide who will bring the ball upcourt from a group that includes Courtney Lee, Jason Terry and Leandro Barbosa.
• There still is no set date for the return of injured Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul, coach Vinny Del Negro. “Day to day, no timetable,” Del Negro said of Paul, the team's star playmaker who remains out of the lineup because of a bruised right kneecap.
• Kyrie Irving capped an incredible week with a deserved award. Cleveland's electrifying guard was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week after leading the NBA in scoring and carrying the Cavs to three straight wins. In the three games, Irving averaged 35.7 points. This is first time Irving has been named player of the week.
• Former Pitt forward Sam Young re-signed with the Indiana Pacers, three weeks after being released by the club. Young, a four-year veteran, made the team out of training camp and appeared in 28 games before being waived Jan. 6. He was averaging 3.6 points and 2.9 rebounds.
• Dallas sent Jared Cunningham back to their NBA Development League team. Cunningham has played in eight games for the Mavericks, averaging two points and 3 minutes.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Snow, freezing rain, bitter cold coming to Western Pa.
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Familiar Downtown Pittsburgh presence lost arm, leg to train
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Rossi: History beckons for Seattle’s Seahawks
- Starkey: Pitt needs this version of James Robinson
- Gulls fleeing frozen Great Lakes fill skies over Pittsburgh’s Point
- Voters opt for ‘Don’t Know’ in 2016 presidential race, Susquehanna poll finds
- Penguins minor league notebook: Rookie Wilson emerges as 3rd-line NHL prospect
- Pitt upsets No. 8 Notre Dame to snap losing streak