NBA notebook: Mavericks coach Adelman returns after 3-week absence
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Rick Adelman is back on the court and coaching basketball after three weeks away to help his wife through a health scare. His Minnesota Timberwolves lost nine of 11 games without him to fall behind in the powerful Western Conference playoff race.
• The Boston Celtics return to practice Tuesday without All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo. He's out for the season with a right knee injury that requires surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Coach Doc Rivers must decide who will bring the ball upcourt from a group that includes Courtney Lee, Jason Terry and Leandro Barbosa.
• There still is no set date for the return of injured Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul, coach Vinny Del Negro. “Day to day, no timetable,” Del Negro said of Paul, the team's star playmaker who remains out of the lineup because of a bruised right kneecap.
• Kyrie Irving capped an incredible week with a deserved award. Cleveland's electrifying guard was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week after leading the NBA in scoring and carrying the Cavs to three straight wins. In the three games, Irving averaged 35.7 points. This is first time Irving has been named player of the week.
• Former Pitt forward Sam Young re-signed with the Indiana Pacers, three weeks after being released by the club. Young, a four-year veteran, made the team out of training camp and appeared in 28 games before being waived Jan. 6. He was averaging 3.6 points and 2.9 rebounds.
• Dallas sent Jared Cunningham back to their NBA Development League team. Cunningham has played in eight games for the Mavericks, averaging two points and 3 minutes.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fights reported, shots fired outside Monroeville Mall restaurant
- Lawsuit: Pittsburgh Public Schools should have known officer was abusing boys
- White House domestic staff share stories in ‘The Residence’
- Mackey: For Pens’ Winnik, playing with Crosby an ongoing process
- Review: Bruce DeSilva delivers another outstanding mystery
- Penguins pushing to sell playoff tickets
- Turrentine tribute features fine play
- Outdoors group pumps up annual Marianna Canoe Race
- Monongahela seeks community help for Mounds Park upgrades
- Only 3 wolves left at national park on Lake Superior; moose population would skyrocket
- 5 years on, empty graves, full hearts for Gulf survivors