NBA notebook: Mavericks coach Adelman returns after 3-week absence
Published: Monday, January 28, 2013, 7:06 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, January 29, 2013
• Rick Adelman is back on the court and coaching basketball after three weeks away to help his wife through a health scare. His Minnesota Timberwolves lost nine of 11 games without him to fall behind in the powerful Western Conference playoff race.
• The Boston Celtics return to practice Tuesday without All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo. He's out for the season with a right knee injury that requires surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Coach Doc Rivers must decide who will bring the ball upcourt from a group that includes Courtney Lee, Jason Terry and Leandro Barbosa.
• There still is no set date for the return of injured Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul, coach Vinny Del Negro. “Day to day, no timetable,” Del Negro said of Paul, the team's star playmaker who remains out of the lineup because of a bruised right kneecap.
• Kyrie Irving capped an incredible week with a deserved award. Cleveland's electrifying guard was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week after leading the NBA in scoring and carrying the Cavs to three straight wins. In the three games, Irving averaged 35.7 points. This is first time Irving has been named player of the week.
• Former Pitt forward Sam Young re-signed with the Indiana Pacers, three weeks after being released by the club. Young, a four-year veteran, made the team out of training camp and appeared in 28 games before being waived Jan. 6. He was averaging 3.6 points and 2.9 rebounds.
• Dallas sent Jared Cunningham back to their NBA Development League team. Cunningham has played in eight games for the Mavericks, averaging two points and 3 minutes.
— Wire reports
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Pirates announce signing of first-round pick McGuire
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Pitt research facility dedicated in Hill District
- Andy Warhol Bridge to be covered in knitted blankets in August
- Unity Legion team off to fast start in league play
- So Many Questions: Hair stylist to the stars Anthony Pazos says divas come with the territory
- Van Sickle breaks through at West Penn Open
- New Alexandria’s Mannitto Golf Club has new owner
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.