World Peace suspended 1 game
TribLIVE Sports Videos
NEW YORK — Forward Metta World Peace has been suspended for one game because he hit Detroit's Brandon Knight in the face, and the Los Angeles Lakers also will be without Dwight Howard again when they face the Brooklyn Nets on Tuesday.
World Peace grabbed Knight around the neck and struck him in the jaw with the knuckles of his mostly open hand on Sunday with 1:43 left in the first half of the Lakers' 98-97 win over the Pistons.
Howard missed that game with a sore right shoulder that remains painful. He says he will miss his third straight game.
Pau Gasol will start at center in Howard's place, and the Lakers will have to move someone into World Peace's starting forward spot.
The former Ron Artest was also suspended seven games in April after an elbow to the head of Oklahoma City's James Harden. He is notorious for his 86-game suspension in 2004 for his role in the brawl with Pistons fans in Detroit.
World Peace also served a seven-game suspension in 2007 for his no-contest plea on a domestic violence charge.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- High school notebook: WPIAL title games could stay at The Pete, Heinz Field
- Feds tapped top Pa. Treasury official’s phone during McCord probe
- Environmental watchdog sues world’s largest steelmaker over Pennsylvania pollution
- New-look Steelers secondary is gaining some cohesion
- Unity supervisors propose joint public meeting with Greater Latrobe school board
- Fed insight gives stocks room to run; S&P 500 regains 2,000 mark
- Fishing report: Steelhead scarce, but other fishing good
- FBI, other authorities serve search warrant on methadone clinic near Uniontown
- Penguins recall Maatta in time for season opener in Dallas