World Peace suspended 1 game
TribLIVE Sports Videos
NEW YORK — Forward Metta World Peace has been suspended for one game because he hit Detroit's Brandon Knight in the face, and the Los Angeles Lakers also will be without Dwight Howard again when they face the Brooklyn Nets on Tuesday.
World Peace grabbed Knight around the neck and struck him in the jaw with the knuckles of his mostly open hand on Sunday with 1:43 left in the first half of the Lakers' 98-97 win over the Pistons.
Howard missed that game with a sore right shoulder that remains painful. He says he will miss his third straight game.
Pau Gasol will start at center in Howard's place, and the Lakers will have to move someone into World Peace's starting forward spot.
The former Ron Artest was also suspended seven games in April after an elbow to the head of Oklahoma City's James Harden. He is notorious for his 86-game suspension in 2004 for his role in the brawl with Pistons fans in Detroit.
World Peace also served a seven-game suspension in 2007 for his no-contest plea on a domestic violence charge.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- ‘Last of the downtown mansions’ demolished in McKeesport
- Federal appeals court deals blow to Affordable Care Act
- UPMC McKeesport president reiterates hospital will remain open
- McCandless residents voice opposition to Wal-Mart plan
- Firefighters battling 2-alarm fire in Bethel Park
- Squirrel Hill street that had been paved getting another pave job
- Goodwill, feds investigate possible data breach
- Derry Township assault suspect arrested
- Woman charged in city Pride scuffle waives hearing on charges she assaulted her mother
- Castle Shannon mayor honored by statewide association