NBA notebook: Payton leads finalists for '13 Hall of Fame class
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gary Payton, Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond were among 12 finalists announced Friday for election into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Former Houston Cougars coach Guy Lewis, current Louisville coach Rick Pitino and UNLV coach Jerry Tarkanian also are finalists for the 2013 class. The others included former NBA stars Maurice Cheeks, Spencer Haywood and Bernard King, longtime North Carolina women's coach Sylvia Hatchell and five-time WNBA All-Star Dawn Staley. Celtics great Tom Heinsohn, already inducted as a player, is a finalist in the coaching category.
The 2013 class will be named at the Final Four in April.
Hunter's lawyers: NBA union chief's contract valid
Unable to secure an invitation to address NBA players directly, embattled union executive director Billy Hunter released online his response to a report that criticized his leadership.
Hunter had hoped to attend the players' meeting Saturday in Houston during All-Star weekend, but he wasn't invited.
NBA puts entire stats history online
The NBA put its complete statistical history online Friday, launching a website that allows fans to review box scores, shot charts, game logs and newer data that has changed the way players are rated.
Previously available only to teams and league personne and the media, it's there for everyone at NBA.com/stats.
The site features every box score for every game played since the league's original season in 1946-47.
Schenley's Kennedy in D-League All-Star Game
Schenley graduate and former St. John's wing D.J. Kennedy will play in the NBA D-League All-Star Game at 3 p.m. Saturday in Houston. The game will be televised on NBA TV.
He's averaging 18.8 points, 8.7 rebounds and 5.5 assists for the Erie BayHawks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers wrap lackluster preseason with loss to Panthers
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell faces former team, hurts leg
- LaBar: Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts reportedly hospitalized
- Young adults drive home rental trend in Western Pennsylvania
- New Ken-Arnold board asked to mediate between football groups
- Government approves compromise on Corbett’s alternative Medicaid plan
- Preseason valuable for Steelers’ offensive line
- DEP releases details of cases of drinking well contamination from drilling
- Abercrombie name to shrink from clothing
- Man found in store parking lot not shooting victim, Pittsburgh police say
- Economy grew at brisk 4.2% rate in Q2