Outdoors notices for Sept. 11, 2017
• Moraine State Park is holding its Shannon Run Paddle from 9-11 a.m. Saturday. Participants will meet at Mount Zion Church and will be joining park staff before exploring the Shannon Run area of Moraine's Lake Arthur via kayak. Event is limited to those ages 12 and up. An adult must accompany anyone under 18. Pre-registration required. To register, call 724-368-8811.
• Prince Gallitzin State Park is offering a family geocaching event from 10 a.m.-noon Saturday. Learn about the family-friendly activity of geocaching as instructors show you how to use handheld GPS to find hidden treasures. Email email@example.com or call 814-674-1000.
• Keystone State Park is offering a strawcutter stroll from 10 a.m.-noon on Sunday. Meet the park naturalist at the Strawcutter Trail Head for a quiet hike that will include bird watching, plant identifying, bug observing and more. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-668-2939.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding a birds and more nature walk at 9 a.m. Sept. 20 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. The walk at the Reserve's trails is free. Register online at aswp.org/events/7840.
• Linn Run State Park and Forbes State Forest are offering an autumn spruce flats bog tour at 11 a.m. Sept. 23. Participants should meet at the Linn Run State Park office prior to the tour. For more information, call 724-238-6623.
• McConnells Mill State Park is hosting the 25th annual Heritage Festival at McConnells Mill State Park from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sept. 23, and from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 24. The festival celebrates the operational time period of the historic gristmill. The festival will offer art, music and family activities. Admission and parking is free. Email email@example.com or call 724-368-8811.
• Venture Outdoors is offering an abandoned Turnpike bike ride from 1-4 p.m. Sept. 24. The leisurely-paced bike ride will cover approximately 17 miles of an abandoned section of the PA Turnpike. The route will pass through two tunnels, so bring a headlamp and a backup flashlight too. Program costs $18. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-255-0564.
• Three Rivers Birding Club is holding an outing at Allegheny Land Trust's Dead Man's Hollow at 8 a.m. Oct. 7. Meet with outing leader David Yeany before exploring the mixed oak forest. For more information, call 814-221-4361.