Outdoors notices for Jan. 28, 2018
• In the Allegheny Valley Rifle League on Jan. 19, Butler improved to 7-2 with a 1,163-1,128 win over Fort Hand (2-7), and Clymer (4-5) won 1,173-1,140 over Murrysville (5-4) in the A-team standings. In the B-team division, Butler (7-2) won 1,154-1,080 over Fort Hand (2.5-6.5), and Clymer (7-2) beat Murrysville (1.5-7.5), 1,152-1,080. Clymner's Hanna Baker was the high female, junior and individual for the week after shoting 295. Butler's Bob Doverspike was the high senior with a 292.
HUNTER SAFETY COURSES
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Bobtown Rod and Gun Club, Greene County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Feb. 24. Class limit 50.
• Fairbank Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Feb. 24. Class limit 50.
• Springdale District Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. March 3. Class limit 50.
• Mill Creek Presbyterian Church, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 10. Class limit 40.
• Twin Rocks Cardiff Sportsman Club, Cambria County, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. March 10. Class limit 50.
• Boswell Fire Department Grove, Somerset County, 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m. March 11. Class limit 50.
• Allegheny County Rifle Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. March 17. Class limit 100.
• Bull Creek Rod and Gun Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. March 17. Class limit 40.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 17. Class limit 65.
• Marion Center Park Hall, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. March 24. Class limit 45.
• Willmore Sportsmens Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. March 24. Class limit 35.
• Emeigh Sportsmens Club, Cambria County, noon-7 p.m. March 25. Class limit 30.
• The 26th annual Friends of the NRA Banquet will be held Feb. 10 at Stratigos Banquet Center in North Huntingdon. Doors open at 4 p.m. For tickets and information, contact Dale Emerick at 412-580-1642 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Or order oline at www.friendsofnra.org.
• The 33rd annual Allegheny Outdoor Sport and Travel Show will be held Feb. 16-18 at Monroeville Convention Center. Admission is $12 for adults. Children under 12 are free with a paid adult. Show hours are noon-8 p.m. Feb. 16, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Feb. 17, and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Feb. 18. Visit www.pittsburghoutdoorshow.com for more information.
• The Three Riers Chapter of Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation will hold its 29th annual Big Game Banquet, starting at 3:30 p.m. Feb. 24, at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Mars. Raffles, auctions, games and more are planned. For tickets or more information, contact James Abbott at 724-579-8949 or email@example.com.
SHOOTS ON TAP
• California Hill Gun Club holds sporting clays and five-stand shoots Sundays from 9 a.m.-noon. All are open to the public. Call 724-938-3480.
• Sporting clays is closed for the winter at West Penn Sportsmen's Club, but five stand is open Thursdays from 5-8 p.m. and from 10 a.m.-noon on Sundays. Cost is $5 for 25 targets for members. Nonmembers are $6 per round.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's Club is open at 6:30 p.m. Fridays, with trap shooting at 7 p.m. Food and beverages are available for purchase. Visit esc15360.com.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association has big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shaner Sportsmen's Club, 146 Stewart Lane, Irwin, has trap practice from 5-8 p.m. Fridays. It is open to the public. Call 724-872-8431 or the clubhouse at 724-446-1313.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Boulevard, North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club has CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. Thursdays. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for children ages 12-16 and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association has trap practice at 7 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also has an indoor archery league with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, has trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sundays, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. Call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club has trap shooting at 5 p.m. Mondays. The public is welcome.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public starting at 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sundays. Call 724-652-1075.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning has open trap nights at 6 p.m. Fridays. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club has trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club has trap and skeet practice from 5-8 p.m. Tuesdays. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro has trap practice at 6 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift has an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot the second Saturday of every month. The club also has an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 on Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association has five-stand sporting clays shoots from 4 p.m. until dark Wednesdays at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association has trap shoots 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club has 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6. Both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association has trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club has skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5-10 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice are 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.