Fishing report: 1st steelhead of season being caught
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Lake Erie's steelhead streams have started giving up steelhead. Anglers fishing Walnut Creek report taking a few fish on single eggs, egg sacs and wooly buggers. Those fishing the lake shore were said to be getting steelhead on Kastmasters and Little Cleos.
• Smallmouth bass and white bass are hitting below the dams on the Monongahela River, according to one report. Shiners are taking fish, as have soft plastics and small crankbaits.
• Black buzzbaits are taking largemouth bass up to 21 inches at Lake Wilhelm, according to one report. The bluegill fishing is slow, though.
• At Bridgeport Dam, fishermen are getting largemouth bass on nightcrawlers, minnows and weedless lures. A few small bluegills and the occasional perch also are being caught.
• At Crooked Creek Lake, anglers are doing well on crappies, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• The fishing remains slow at Pymatuning Lake, though anglers continue to get a few walleyes on blade baits. Fishermen are getting crappies near the causeway but not consistently.
• Lake Arthur fishermen are picking up the occasional walleye, along with good numbers of bass and panfish. Catfish continue to hit for those fishing at or after dusk.
• On the Allegheny River, the smallmouth bass fishing has picked up a bit, with fish taken on tube baits, live minnows and buzzbaits.
• Upper and Lower Twin lakes are giving up smallish bass and panfish. Live baits have been most effective.
• At Virgin Run, panfish are keeping the few fishermen who have been venturing out busy.
• At Glendale Lake in Prince Gallitzin State Park, fishermen are getting largemouth bass and panfish, including bluegills and crappies.
• Loyalhanna Creek has been low for a while, but anglers fishing at Kingston Dam are getting smallmouth and rock bass, according to one report.
• At Laurel Hill Lake, anglers fishing from boats are getting largemouth bass, along with some yellow perch and bluegills. The latter are taking live baits.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- Hacker stuns Dayton family with computer takeover
- Pennsylvania’s new online voter registration racks up 5,000 applicants
- CCAC solar panels to power up after decade of delay
- Shooting that killed Winchester Thurston grad surprised witnesses
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise
- Uniontown first responders use antidote to revive man who overdosed on heroin
- Steelers running back eager to prove he can help bridge gap to Bell
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- South Fayette native looks forward to competing in Miss America Pageant
- Officials stop packages with ‘inappropriate’ material intended for Murrysville girls