Changing ice conditions make fishing difficult
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• According to a report from Transue's Bait in Kittanning, anglers fishing the outflow at Crooke Creek Lake have been taking some crappies and other panfish. Little fathead minnows have been the top bait.
• There's been little fishing pressure at Donegal Lake, where there's skim ice on a part of the lake, open water around its edges.
• Cranberry Glade Lake was giving up a few legal pike to anglers, but ice conditions have been spotty lately.
• Pymatuning Lake has likewise been quiet, according to a report from Poff's Place in Espyville. There's no ice to speak of, but shore fishing has been nonexistent.
• Trout fishermen have been getting some trout at the Yough River just below the dam outflow, according to a report from S&S Bait and Tackle in Chalk Hill. Most have been caught on nightcrawlers.
• Anglers fishing the open water at Laurel Hill Lake have been getting some trout in recent days, according to reports.
• Live baits and twister Tails in white and chartreuse have been getting anglers some walleyes below the Dashields, Montgomery and Townsend dams on the Ohio and Beaver rivers, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• The Allegheny River, high and muddy a few days ago, has come down to fishable levels, but there's not been much activity from anglers, according to one report.
• Loyalhanna Creek was still running very high as of mid-week, putting a halt to most fishing there.
• At High Point Lake, anglers fishing through the ice have been getting legal walleyes, bass and northern pike, along with a few perch.
• There had been some ice fishing going on at Somerset lake before ice conditions deteriorated, but there were few fish being caught, according to one Fish and Boat Commission report.
• At Erie, anglers have been getting steelhead from Twenty Mile Creek, as well as from Sixteen Mile and Walnut creeks. Sucker spawn, skein and white, brown an dolive wooly buggers were all taking fish, according to reports.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allegheny County deer falls short of record status
- Frye: Possible record buck to get final score
- Penn State study revealing how deer react to hunters
- Rain hampers bear, deer seasons; fishing interest increases
- PETA offers underwater drones to target animal cruelty
- Survey says hunters like deer seasons as is