• Venture Outdoors will lead a guided winter tree identification hike from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday in Frick Park in Allegheny County. Cost is $6 for kids, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will host a hike along the Seneca and Mohawk trails starting at noon Feb. 16. The hike will pass through the site of a 1976 tornado and past some of the tallest Eastern hemlocks north of the Smoky Mountains. It will cover some of the park's steepest trails, though. Call 814-744-8407.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a full moon hike at its Succop Nature Reserve in Butler County from 7 to 9 p.m. Feb. 25. Hikers will look and listen for owls and other nocturnal creatures. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will hold its annual Winterfest from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. There will be snowshoeing, cross country skiing, horse-drawn sleigh rides and more, all in the Sugarload ski area. Call 724-329-0986.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will host a free otter watch program at 8:30 a.m. Feb. 16. Bring binoculars and spotting scopes for a driving tour to otter hotspots along the Clarion River. There will be hot chocolate at the park office afterwards. Call 814-744-8407.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a training workshop from 10 a.m. to noon Feb. 9 at its Succop Nature Reserve in Butler County for people interested in participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count. Participants will learn to identify common local species in preparation for the count, which is held Presidents' Day weekend. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a winter bird walk in conjunction with the Great American Backyard Bird Count from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Feb. 16 in Emerald View Park in Allegheny County. The three-mile walk will cover mostly easy terrain, with a few steep hills, and is for the amateur or beginning birder. Cost is $6 for kids, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a beginner's snowshoeing hike from 1 to 4 p.m. Feb. 16 at Laurel Summit State Park in Westmoreland County. Participants will learn to “float” across deep snow while appreciating the winter weather. Cost is $22 for members, $29 for nonmembers and includes snowshoe rental. Call 412-255-0564.