Lake Arthur, Ohio River producing fish
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• The on-again, off-again weather has made for, at best, iffy ice conditions at Pymatuning Lake, according to a report from Patti Poff at Poff's Place in Espyville. Anglers have not been able to get on the lake with any regularity, and those who have ventured out are doing poorly.
• Lake Somerset has seen little in the way of fishing pressure.
• A few anglers have been fishing for trout at the Yough tailrace, which was stocked Wednesday. There have been no reports on success.
• Anglers were picking up trout at Upper Twin Lake when there was enough open water to fish. Pressure has been off lately.
• Anglers fishing the Ohio River below the dam at Leetsdale, near the mouth of Little Sewickley Creek, have been getting a few walleyes by fishing with shiners, said Wayne Lykens of Island Forearms of Neville Island. Anglers have also been fishing the river near the mouth of Montour Creek, but there's been no word on catches there.
• Keystone State Park Lake was stocked with trout this week.
• Mammoth Dam, Upper and Lower twin lakes and Donegal Lake are all scheduled to be stocked next week.
• At High Point Lake, anglers fishing through the ice have been getting northern pike, pickerel and walleyes, along with some panfish.
• At Lake Arthur, anglers fishing some of the bays, such as Porter's Cove and Muddy Creek, have been getting crappies, bluegills and bass, said Jerry O'Donnell of O'Donnell's Sports Supplies of Portersville. The crappies have been as long as 13 inches. The top baits have been maggots, wax worms and shiners.
• Lake Wilhelm has been getting a little fishing pressure, but ice conditions have been poor, according to one report.
• Anglers have been doing some open water fishing at Quemahoning Reservoir, around the Green Bridge and in the tailrace. A northern pike or two have been reported, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• Laurel Hill Lake was stocked earlier this week.
• Canonsburg Lake has ice, but it's not thick enough to support fishing, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• Lake Erie's steelhead streams have been largely frozen over, according to reports, though a few anglers have reported taking fish in pockets of open water.
• A few anglers have been on Presque Isle Bay, though the ice has been spotty, with at least one fishermen going through and requiring rescue this past week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Frye: Mystery rifle stirs memories
- Fish and Boat Commissioners look for chances to get kids outside
- Outdoor notices: Jan. 25, 2015
- Pa. Fish and Boat Commission makes controversial trout decision
- Outdoors notebook: Bevy of outdoors shows scheduled
- Proposal for stocking of Class A waters causes stir
- Outdoors notices: Jan. 19, 2015
- Game lands permit idea by Pennsylvania Game Commission upsets hikers
- New breed in gun clubs’ sights as shooting ranges go stylish