TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Kiski (9-7) took over sole possession of second place in the Allegheny Valley Rifle league by beating Fort Hand (1-15) 1,166-1,158. At the same time, Murrysville (14-2) beat Butler (8-8) 1,179-1,163.
In the B-team standings, Murrysville is on top at 14-2, followed by Butler (10-6), Kiski (8-8) and Fort Hand (0-16).
Junior shooter Matt Smith of Kiski was the week's top shooter after firing a 299. Bob Doverspike of Butler was high senior with a 294, while Cassidy Fairman of Murrysville was high female with a 292.
Hunter safety courses
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Bullcreek Rod and Gun Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. March 9. Class limit 40.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 9. Class limit 65.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 4:30-8 p.m. March 10 and 5:30-8 p.m. March 11. Class limit 50.
• Springdale District Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. March 16. Class limit 40.
• Burnt Ridge Bow and Gun Club, Armstrong County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 16. Class limit 50.
• Indian Creek Valley Sportsmen's Association, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. March 23. Class limit 50.
• Gander Mountain – Richland, Cambria County, noon-6 p.m. March 23. Class limit 25.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. March 23. Class limit 80.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 24. Class limit 50.
• Bear Rocks Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. April 6. Class limit 50.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 6. Class limit 65.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 27. Class limit 50.
Shoots on tap
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen's Club, 138 Kingston Club Road, Latrobe, will hold a 3-D archery shoot March 10, with registration from 8 a.m.-noon at the clubhouse. Call 724-539-9303.
• Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers will hold a 3-D archer appreciation day shoot for recurves, longbows and selfbows on March 17 at East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Club with registration from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Cost is $10 for those 17 and older, $5 for those ages 12-16 and free to those 11 and younger. All shooters get a free buffet lunch. Novice shooters may shoot from a comfortable distance. Call 724-887-5404.
• Saltsburg Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot March 3, with registration from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Cost is $5 for youths and $10 for adults. Cubs shoot for free. Call 724-639-0360.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's trap range is open Fridays for league and practice shooting. The club opens at 7 p.m. on Fridays, with food and drinks available for purchase; shooting starts at dusk. The public is welcome to use the lighted range; cost is $5 per round and $4 per round for practice. Call 724-945-5275 or visit www.ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit www.ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5-8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Wednesday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7-10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit www.mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are held from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds five-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five-stand shoots from 4-9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30-9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• East Huntingdon Sportsman's Club in Alverton hosts trap practice Mondays at 7 p.m. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is holding an indoor archery league, with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups. Call 724-887-5404.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for kids ages 12-16, and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5-10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.
The Fish and Boat Commission has kicked off its spring trout stocking program. Here are waters getting fish, in some counties, for the week of Feb. 25 to March 3. Listed is the water to be stocked, the kind of fish it is to receive, the time, date and meeting location for the stocking truck, or, in cases, only the week of the stocking.
• Allegheny: Deer Creek, sections 2, 3 and 4, browns and rainbows, and Pine Creek, section 5, browns and rainbows, 12:30 p.m. March 1, Natrona Heights exit, Route 28.
• Armstrong: Buffalo Creek sections 3 and 6, browns and rainbows, noon March 2, Worthington Fire Hall parking lot, Route 422.
• Bedford: Yellow Creek, section 5, browns, 9:30 a.m. March 1, New Frontier Restaurant, Route 36, Loysburg.
• Butler: Buffalo Creek, section 3, browns and rainbows, noon March 2, Worthington Fire Hall parking lot Route 422.
• Lawrence: Neshannock Creek, sections 2, 3 and 4, browns and rainbows, noon March 2 at the bridge at Volant on Route 208.
• Washington: Dutch Fork Lake, rainbows, 1:15 p.m. March 1, Route 40, three miles west of Claysville.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Statewide hunters numbers following that of pheasants
- Frye: Bright future for Yough River
- Outdoor notices: Oct. 19, 2014
- Outdoors notices: Oct. 20, 2014