Outdoors notice: Feb. 24, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Venture Outdoors will lead a winter tree identification hike through Frick Park in Allegheny County from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday. An ecologist will lead the hike. Cost is $6 for kids, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating safety class at Gander Mountain in Greensburg from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 9. Participants will learn basic boating safety. The class is free, but pre-registration is required by calling 724-834-2400 or visiting the store. Successful students will be able to send $10 to the commission for a boating safety certificate.
• Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating safety class at Gander Mountain in Washington from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 23. Participants will learn basic boating safety. The class is free, but pre-registration is required by calling 724-229-9800 or visiting the store. Successful students will be able to send $10 to the commission for a boating safety certificate.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will lead a hike and program on the history of maple sugaring at 10 a.m. March 16 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Participants will take a hike and have a pancake meal. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-863-6100.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will lead an outing to look for waterfowl and early migrants at Conemaugh Reservoir in Westmoreland County on March 16. Meet behind the Second Commonwealth Bank in New Alexandria, at the intersection of routes 981 and 22, at 9 a.m.
• Venture Outdoors will host a class on European nymphing techniques for trout from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 16 at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Dale and Cyndi Kotowski of Chestnut Ridge Trout Unlimited will lead the class, which will focus on flies, leaders, retrieves, gear and tactics. There will be time spent fishing, too. Previous fly fishing experience is required. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Frye: Of bills, ticks, outdoor apps
- Bagging a spring gobbler is about more than making noise
- Outdoor notices: April 26, 2015
- Outdoors notebook: Hunters Sharing the Harvest has big year
- Fishing report: County parks open lakes to boating
- Mentored youth day draws crowds, not complaints
- Outdoors notices: April 20, 2015