Outdoors notice: Feb. 24, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Venture Outdoors will lead a winter tree identification hike through Frick Park in Allegheny County from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday. An ecologist will lead the hike. Cost is $6 for kids, $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating safety class at Gander Mountain in Greensburg from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 9. Participants will learn basic boating safety. The class is free, but pre-registration is required by calling 724-834-2400 or visiting the store. Successful students will be able to send $10 to the commission for a boating safety certificate.
• Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating safety class at Gander Mountain in Washington from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 23. Participants will learn basic boating safety. The class is free, but pre-registration is required by calling 724-229-9800 or visiting the store. Successful students will be able to send $10 to the commission for a boating safety certificate.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will lead a hike and program on the history of maple sugaring at 10 a.m. March 16 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Participants will take a hike and have a pancake meal. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-863-6100.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will lead an outing to look for waterfowl and early migrants at Conemaugh Reservoir in Westmoreland County on March 16. Meet behind the Second Commonwealth Bank in New Alexandria, at the intersection of routes 981 and 22, at 9 a.m.
• Venture Outdoors will host a class on European nymphing techniques for trout from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 16 at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Dale and Cyndi Kotowski of Chestnut Ridge Trout Unlimited will lead the class, which will focus on flies, leaders, retrieves, gear and tactics. There will be time spent fishing, too. Previous fly fishing experience is required. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Moore hopes to see red (zone) in Steelers debut
- Steelers notebook: Ravens DL fined for hit on Roethlisberger
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- Monument to Steel Valley Korean War hero relocated
- Family becomes ‘forever’
- Police, bloodhound team locate former athletic director, Greensburg official
- Man dies as fire destroys Lemont Furnace home
- Harhai campaign emails from 2007 under review, Westmoreland County DA says
- Armed officers comb woods for state trooper ambush suspect
- Hempfield field hockey continues to improve under 2nd-year coach
- Comcast cuts showings of anti-pigeon shooting commercial featuring Barker