Glendale Lake hot spot for ice fishing
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• A handful of people has been fishing the Ohio River in hopes of catching walleyes, but the action has been pretty slow, said Wayne Lykens of Island Firearms of Neville Island.
• Things have been better for ice fishermen at Glendale Lake in Cambria County. Perch and crappie have been hitting along with some nice northern pike. There are recent reports of 33- and 34-inch pike caught.
• The fishing on Lake Erie's tributary streams has been hit and miss. When conditions are right, those fishing minnows have been taking good numbers of steelhead and an occasional brown trout, according to one report. But most of the streams were running so high as to be almost unfishable Thursday, another said.
• At Donegal Lake, skim ice covering most of the lake has limited fishing.
• The situation has been the same at Mammoth Dam: little open water but no ice good enough for safe fishing.
• Lake Rowena in Cambria County has been giving up limits of fish to anglers, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report.
• There's been minimal fishing on the Allegheny River, which has been running high and muddy. A few scattered catches of walleyes have been reported, but there's been no consistent action.
• High Point Lake has been producing walleyes, pike and panfish through the ice. Shiners and fathead minnows have been the most reliable baits.
• There's been little fishing pressure on Lake Somerset and few reports of fish caught.
• Upper and Lower Twin lakes have produced some fishing when conditions have been right, with anglers getting perch and crappies through the ice when it's been fishable, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Some brown trout have been caught.
• Green Lick Lake is mostly open and free of ice, but the fishing has not yet produced many catches.
• Fishermen have been taking a few rainbow trout from Indian Lake by focusing on the few spots that haven't been frozen over.
• Harbar Acres Lake has given up a few trout when conditions have been suitable for fishing.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Frye: Early peek at 2015 seasons
- Game Commission aims to settle controversy through study
- Frye: Possible record buck to get final score
- Allegheny County deer falls short of record status