TribLIVE Sports Videos
• There's once again a tie for second place in the Allegheny Valley Rifle League, after Murrysville (15-2) knocked off Kiski (9-8) by a score of 1,184-1,159 and Butler (9-8) beat Fort Hand (1-16) 1,176-1,162.
In the B-team standings, Murrysville is in the lead with a 15-2 record, followed by Butler (11-6), Kiski (8-9) and Fort Hand (0-17).
Ray Harvey of Murrysville fired a 297 to post the week's top score. John Funk of Murrysville was the top senior with a 296, while teammate Matthew Lovre was top junior with a 287. Cassidy Fairman, also of Murrysville, was the top female with a 286.
Hunter safety courses
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Bullcreek Rod and Gun Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. March 9. Class limit 40.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 9. Class limit 65.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 4:30-8 p.m. March 10 and 5:30-8 p.m. March 11. Class limit 50.
• Springdale District Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. March 16. Class limit 40.
• Burnt Ridge Bow and Gun Club, Armstrong County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 16. Class limit 50.
• Indian Creek Valley Sportsmen's Association, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. March 23. Class limit 50.
• Gander Mountain – Richland, Cambria County, noon-6 p.m. March 23. Class limit 25.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. March 23. Class limit 80.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 24. Class limit 50.
• Bear Rocks Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. April 6. Class limit 50.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 6. Class limit 65.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 27. Class limit 50.
• International Angler Fly Shop will present the 2013 Fly Fishing Film Tour at the Oaks Theater, 310 Allegheny River Blvd., on March 10. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with the show starting at 7 p.m. Trailers for the films to be shown can be seen at www.thef3t.com. Proceeds benefit Casting for Recovery, a program that helps cancer survivors learn to fish. Tickets are $12 and are available in advance from the fly shop, 5275 Stuebenville Pike, Pittsburgh. Call 412-788-8088.
• The Southern Clarion County Sportsman Show will be held March 8-10 at the East Brady Community Center, 502 E. Ferry St., East Brady. There will be seminars on deer and predator hunting, a turkey calling contest, archery contests, a wall of fame and more. Visit www.sccsportsmanshow.com.
• Tom Serfass, the biologist who helped reintroduce otters into Pennsylvania, will discuss that work and how it set the stage for otter projects around the world from 2-3:30 p.m. March 10 at Jennings Environmental Education Center near Butler. The program is free to the public. Call 724-794-6011.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating safety class from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on March 23 at Gander Mountain in Washington. The class is free, but preregistration is required by calling 724-229-9800 or visiting the store. Successful students will be eligible for a boating safety certificate.
Shoots on tap
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen's Club, 138 Kingston Club Road, Latrobe, will hold a 3-D archery shoot March 10, with registration from 8 a.m.-noon at the clubhouse. Call 724-539-9303.
• Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers will hold a 3-D archer appreciation day shoot for recurves, longbows and selfbows on March 17 at East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Club with registration from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Cost is $10 for ages 17 and older, $5 for ages 12-16 and free for ages 11 and younger. All shooters get a free buffet lunch. Novice shooters may shoot from a comfortable distance. Call 724-887-5404.
• Saltsburg Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot Sunday with registration from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Cost is $5 for youths and $10 for adults. Cubs shoot for free. Call 724-639-0360.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's trap range is open Fridays for league and practice shooting. The club opens at 7 p.m. on Fridays, with food and drinks available for purchase; shooting starts at dusk. The public is welcome to use the lighted range; cost is $5 per round and $4 per round for practice. Call 724-945-5275 or visit www.ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit www.ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5-8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Wednesday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30 a.m.; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7-10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit www.mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are held from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds five-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five-stand shoots from 4-9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30-9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• East Huntingdon Sportsman's Club in Alverton hosts trap practice Mondays at 7 p.m. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is holding an indoor archery league, with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups. Call 724-887-5404.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for ages 12 to 16, and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5-10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.
The Fish and Boat Commission has kicked off its spring trout stocking program. Here are waters getting fish, in some counties, for March 4-10. Listed is the water to be stocked, the kind of fish it is to receive, the time, date and meeting location for the stocking truck, or, in cases, only the week of the stocking.
• Allegheny: North Park Lake, rainbows, 1 p.m. Tuesday, North Park Lake boathouse; Bull Creek, sections 2, 3 and 4, browns and rainbows, 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Route 28, Natrona Heights exit; Big Sewickley Creek, browns and rainbows, 12:30 p.m. Friday, I-79, exit 22, Wexford.
• Armstrong: Little Sandy Creek, brooks and browns, 11:15 a.m. Thursday, Cool Spring Post Office; Cherry Run, sections 2 and 3, brooks and browns, 11:15 a.m. Friday, Keystone Bait and Tackle, Route 210, Elderton.
• Beaver: Mill Creek, browns and rainbows, and Traverse Creek, sections 2 and 3, browns and rainbows, noon Wednesday, Hookstown Fire Co., Route 168 North Fork Little Beaver Creek, browns and rainbows, noon Thursday, Darlington Post Office, Route 551; Big Sewickley Creek, browns and rainbows, and North Fork Big Sewickley Creek, browns and rainbows, 12:30 p.m. Friday, I-79, exit 22, Wexford.
• Bedford: Raystown Branch Juniata River, section 3, browns and rainbows, 9:30 a.m. Monday, Colvin boat launch; Cove Creek, section 2, browns and rainbows, 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Lower Landmark Restaurant, Route 30, Bedford; Gladdens Run, browns and rainbows, and Little Wills Creek, browns and rainbows, 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Hyndman Post Office, Route 96; Raystown Branch Juniata River, section 4, browns and rainbows, 9:30 a.m. Thursday, Lower Landmark Restaurant, Route 30, Bedford; Cove Creek, section 3, browns and rainbows, 9:30 a.m. Friday, Lower Landmark Restaurant, Route 30, Bedford.
• Butler: Thorn Creek, browns and rainbows, 11 a.m. Tuesday, the first bridge downstream of the dam at Lake Oneida, on Hoon Road; Connoquenessing Creek, browns and rainbows, 11 a.m. Wednesday, the first bridge downstream of the dam at Lake Oneida, on Hoon Road; Slippery Rock Creek, section 2, browns and rainbows, 11 a.m. Friday at routes 19 and 108.
• Cambria: Chest Creek, section 3, brooks and browns, 10:45 a.m. Thursday, the PennDOT shed just outside of Patton on Route 36.
• Fayette: Dunlap Creek, browns and rainbows, and Meadow Run, section 6, brooks and browns, 11 a.m. Monday, the water slide parking lot at Ohiopyle State Park, Route 381.
• Greene: Browns Creek, browns and rainbows, noon Tuesday, Amity ball field, west of Route 19 on Route 2020.
• Lawrence: Slippery Rock Creek, section 2, browns and rainbows, and Taylor Run, browns and rainbows, 11 a.m. Friday, at routes 19 and 108.
• Somerset: Gladdens Run, browns and rainbows, 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Hyndman Post Office, Route 96; Bens Creek, brooks, and South Fork Bens Creek, sections 2 and 4, brooks, 10 a.m. Friday, Beka's Place, Old Route 219; Laurel Hill Creek, sections 3 and 6, browns and rainbows, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, CoGo's, Route 31, Bakersville.
• Washington: Tenmile Creek, browns and rainbows, noon Tuesday, Amity ball field, west of Route 19 on Route 2020; Pike Run, sections 2, 3 and 4, browns and rainbows, 1 p.m. Wednesday, the toll booth area of Route 43, off I-70.
• Westmoreland: Loyalhanna Creek, section 2, 3, 4 and 5, browns and rainbows, noon Saturday, Loyalhanna Watershed Association office, Old Route 30, Ligonier.
Show commenting policy