Fishing report: Weather conditions slow fishing around region
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Indian Lake is completely ice free and open to fishing under catch and release conditions, but few people are fishing. Those venturing out are catching a handful of rainbow trout on Powerbait.
• Few people are fishing the outflow area of the Yough River.
• Shiners are reportedly taking a few walleyes from the Ohio River, but the action is slow overall as pressure has been light.
• Anglers are reporting doing OK at High Point Lake, according to a Fish and Boat Commission report. Northern pike, pickerel, bass, yellow perch and, increasingly lately, crappies are hitting through the ice.
• Lake Erie's tributary streams are giving up steelhead to anglers using minnows and white sucker spawn when conditions permit. Periods of open water are mixed with periods of ice and high flows.
• A few anglers are doing some catch-and-release trout fishing at Upper and Lower Twin lakes, though catches are spotty.
• At Lake Arthur, ice conditions are variable, according to a report, but anglers are doing OK on panfish and bass.
• The Monongahela River has been running high and muddy, limiting fishing pressure and catches there.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mentored hunting program gets tweaked
- Game commission to consider longer buck, bear seasons
- Frye: Mystery rifle stirs memories
- Outdoors notebook: Legislature considering outdoors proposals
- Pa. Fish and Boat Commission makes controversial trout decision
- Fish and Boat Commissioners look for chances to get kids outside
- Proposal for stocking of Class A waters causes stir
- Outdoor notices: Jan. 25, 2015