TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hunter safety courses
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• North Butler Hunting and Fishing Club, Butler County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.
• Southside Sportsmen's Club, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 40.
• Indian Creek Valley Sportsmen's Association, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• Irwin Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 40.
• Wilmore Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 25.
• Emeigh Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, noon-7 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 40.
• West View Sportsmen's Club, Butler County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.
• Montgomery Township Rod and Gun Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 40.
• Gander Mountain – Richland, Cambria County, noon-6 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 25.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 80.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 24. Class limit 50.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Club, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 6. Class limit 45.
• Bear Rocks Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. April 6. Class limit 50.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 6. Class limit 65.
• Fairhope Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. April 6. Class limit 50.
• Marion Center Park Hall, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. April 6. Class limit 45.
• Gander Mountain, Washington County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 6. Class limit 50.
• Rostraver Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. April 7. Class limit 35.
• Ambridge Sportsman's Club, 5:30-9 p.m. April 10-11. Class limit 40.
• Mt. Morris Sportsman's Club, Greene County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. April 13. Class limit 45.
• Shelocta Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 13. Class limit 50.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 20. Class limit 80.
• Gander Mountain – Richland, Cambria County, noon-6 p.m. April 20. Class limit 25.
• Millvale Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. April 20. Class limit 70.
• Ambridge Sportsman's Club, Beaver County, 5:30-8:45 p.m. April 22 and 23. Class limit 40.
• Lancaster Township Community Center, Butler County, 6-9:30 p.m. April 24 and 25.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 27. Class limit 50.
• Wilderness Wildlife Museum, Westmoreland County, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. May 11. Class limit 15.
• C& Y Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. May 18. Class limit 50.
• Heilwood Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. May 18. Class limit 60.
• Barr Township rod and Gun Club, Cambria County, noon-7 p.m. May 19. Class limit 30.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating and water safety awareness class from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. March 24 at the Sarah Heinz House in Pittsburgh. The class includes classroom work as well as time spent in the pool. Bring lunch and a bathing suit. Preregistration is required by calling 412-231-2377, ext. 22 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Pittsburgh Chapter of Safari Club International will hold its annual awards presentation and outfitter dinner and fundraising gala April 5-6, at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. The first day will feature exhibitors and awards; the second games, auctions, raffles, drawings and more. For tickets or information visit www.safariclubpittsburgh.org.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating safety class from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on Saturday at Gander Mountain in Washington. The class is free, but preregistration is required by calling 724-229-9800 or visiting the store. Successful students will be eligible for a boating safety certificate.
Shoots on tap
• Kelly Station Sportsman's Club will hold an Easter ham and turkey shoot starting at 1 p.m. on Sunday at the club range on Logansport Road in Ford City. The public is welcome and refreshments will be available. Call 724-763-1160.
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen's Club, 138 Kingston Club Road, Latrobe, will hold a 3-D archery shoot April 7, with registration from 8 a.m. to noon. at the clubhouse. Call 724-539-9303.
• Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers will hold a 3-D archer appreciation day shoot for recurves, longbows and selfbows on Sunday at East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Club in East Huntingdon, with registration from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Cost is $10 for ages 17 and older, $5 for ages 12-16 and free for 11 and younger. All shooters get a free buffet lunch. Novice shooters may shoot from a comfortable distance. Call 724-887-5404.
• Saltsburg Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot on April 7, with registration from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Cost is $5 for youths and $10 for adults. Cubs shoot for free. Call 724-639-0360.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's trap range is open Fridays for league and practice shooting. The club opens at 7 p.m. on Fridays, with food and drinks available for purchase; shooting starts at dusk. The public is welcome to use the lighted range; cost is $5 per round and $4 per round for practice. Call 724-945-5275 or visit www.ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit www.ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5-8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Wednesday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7-10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit www.mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds five-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five-stand shoots from 4-9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30-9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• East Huntingdon Sportsman's Club in Alverton hosts trap practice Mondays at 7 p.m. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is holding an indoor archery league, with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups. Call 724-887-5404.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for kids ages 12-16, and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5-10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Fishing license fee decrease considered
- Frye: Bear attacks rare but increasing
- Studies detail buck behavior
- Outdoors notebook: Fall trout stocking program begins this week