TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hunter safety courses
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• North Butler Hunting and Fishing Club, Butler County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.
• Southside Sportsmen's Club, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 40.
• Indian Creek Valley Sportsmen's Association, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 50.
• Irwin Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 40.
• Wilmore Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 25.
• Emeigh Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, noon-7 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 40.
• West View Sportsmen's Club, Butler County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.
• Montgomery Township Rod and Gun Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 40.
• Gander Mountain – Richland, Cambria County, noon-6 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 25.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Class limit 80.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. March 24. Class limit 50.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Club, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 6. Class limit 45.
• Bear Rocks Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. April 6. Class limit 50.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 6. Class limit 65.
• Fairhope Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. April 6. Class limit 50.
• Marion Center Park Hall, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. April 6. Class limit 45.
• Gander Mountain, Washington County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 6. Class limit 50.
• Rostraver Sportsmen's Association, Westmoreland County, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. April 7. Class limit 35.
• Ambridge Sportsman's Club, 5:30-9 p.m. April 10-11. Class limit 40.
• Mt. Morris Sportsman's Club, Greene County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. April 13. Class limit 45.
• Shelocta Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 13. Class limit 50.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. April 20. Class limit 80.
• Gander Mountain – Richland, Cambria County, noon-6 p.m. April 20. Class limit 25.
• Millvale Sportsmen's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. April 20. Class limit 70.
• Ambridge Sportsman's Club, Beaver County, 5:30-8:45 p.m. April 22 and 23. Class limit 40.
• Lancaster Township Community Center, Butler County, 6-9:30 p.m. April 24 and 25.
• Monroeville Public Safety Training Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 27. Class limit 50.
• Wilderness Wildlife Museum, Westmoreland County, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. May 11. Class limit 15.
• C& Y Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. May 18. Class limit 50.
• Heilwood Sportsmen's Club, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. May 18. Class limit 60.
• Barr Township rod and Gun Club, Cambria County, noon-7 p.m. May 19. Class limit 30.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating and water safety awareness class from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. March 24 at the Sarah Heinz House in Pittsburgh. The class includes classroom work as well as time spent in the pool. Bring lunch and a bathing suit. Preregistration is required by calling 412-231-2377, ext. 22 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Pittsburgh Chapter of Safari Club International will hold its annual awards presentation and outfitter dinner and fundraising gala April 5-6, at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. The first day will feature exhibitors and awards; the second games, auctions, raffles, drawings and more. For tickets or information visit www.safariclubpittsburgh.org.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating safety class from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on Saturday at Gander Mountain in Washington. The class is free, but preregistration is required by calling 724-229-9800 or visiting the store. Successful students will be eligible for a boating safety certificate.
Shoots on tap
• Kelly Station Sportsman's Club will hold an Easter ham and turkey shoot starting at 1 p.m. on Sunday at the club range on Logansport Road in Ford City. The public is welcome and refreshments will be available. Call 724-763-1160.
• Kingston Veterans and Sportsmen's Club, 138 Kingston Club Road, Latrobe, will hold a 3-D archery shoot April 7, with registration from 8 a.m. to noon. at the clubhouse. Call 724-539-9303.
• Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers will hold a 3-D archer appreciation day shoot for recurves, longbows and selfbows on Sunday at East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Club in East Huntingdon, with registration from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Cost is $10 for ages 17 and older, $5 for ages 12-16 and free for 11 and younger. All shooters get a free buffet lunch. Novice shooters may shoot from a comfortable distance. Call 724-887-5404.
• Saltsburg Sportsmen's Club will hold a 3-D archery shoot on April 7, with registration from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Cost is $5 for youths and $10 for adults. Cubs shoot for free. Call 724-639-0360.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, hosts trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club holds trap shooting every Monday starting at 5 p.m. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's trap range is open Fridays for league and practice shooting. The club opens at 7 p.m. on Fridays, with food and drinks available for purchase; shooting starts at dusk. The public is welcome to use the lighted range; cost is $5 per round and $4 per round for practice. Call 724-945-5275 or visit www.ellsworthsportsmen.com.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights every Friday at 6 p.m. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit www.ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club holds trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club hosts trap and skeet practice every Tuesday from 5-8 p.m. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association holds big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro holds trap practice every Wednesday at 6 p.m. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. every Wednesday. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift holds an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also hosts an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club holds outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are held from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are held from 7-10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit www.mdi.net/dml.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association holds five-stand sporting clays shoots at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until dark. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association holds trap shoots from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville holds five-stand shoots from 4-9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30-9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club holds 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• East Huntingdon Sportsman's Club in Alverton hosts trap practice Mondays at 7 p.m. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is holding an indoor archery league, with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups. Call 724-887-5404.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club holds CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. every Thursday. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for kids ages 12-16, and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are held from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club hosts skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5-10 p.m. Wednesdays, and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice is from 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Game commission to consider longer buck, bear seasons
- Mentored hunting program gets tweaked
- Outdoors notebook: Legislature considering outdoors proposals
- Fish and Boat Commissioners look for chances to get kids outside
- Frye: Mystery rifle stirs memories
- Outdoor notices: Jan. 25, 2015
- Pa. Fish and Boat Commission makes controversial trout decision