Outdoors notices: March 17, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will hold a free night hike to look for the courtship display of woodcock from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Saturday. Bring a flashlight and meet at the overflow parking lot of Kentuck campground. Call 724-329-0986.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a challenging 10-plus-mile hike through Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday. Designed for those who want to test their endurance, it will involve climbs, stream crossings, rocky terrain and other challenges. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating safety class at Gander Mountain in Washington from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Participants will learn basic boating safety. The class is free, but pre-registration is required by calling 724-229-9800 or visiting the store. Successful students will be able to send $10 to the commission for a boating safety certificate.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center in Butler County is seeking volunteers willing to help manage invasive plants. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 20. Participants must be age 12 or older and must register for the program at 724-794-6011 by April 12. Lunch will be provided, and each participant will receive a native plant for their garden or backyard.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will hold an eagle watch at 8:30 a.m. Saturday. Bring binoculars or a spotting scope, and meet at the park office for a driving and walking tour of eagle hot spots along the Clarion River. This is the prime time of the year to view bald eagles on their nests and finding new nesting sites. Hot chocolate and coffee will be available. Call 714-744-8407.
• Pymatuning State Park in Crawford County will hold an eagle watch weekend Friday to Sunday for those interested in bird watching and photography. Participants will look for eagles, other raptors and waterfowl in the park and in surrounding areas. Cost is $65 per person or $120 per couple. Reservations are required by calling 724-932-3142.
Show commenting policy