Outdoors notices: March 17, 2013
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will hold a free night hike to look for the courtship display of woodcock from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Saturday. Bring a flashlight and meet at the overflow parking lot of Kentuck campground. Call 724-329-0986.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a challenging 10-plus-mile hike through Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday. Designed for those who want to test their endurance, it will involve climbs, stream crossings, rocky terrain and other challenges. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating safety class at Gander Mountain in Washington from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Participants will learn basic boating safety. The class is free, but pre-registration is required by calling 724-229-9800 or visiting the store. Successful students will be able to send $10 to the commission for a boating safety certificate.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center in Butler County is seeking volunteers willing to help manage invasive plants. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 20. Participants must be age 12 or older and must register for the program at 724-794-6011 by April 12. Lunch will be provided, and each participant will receive a native plant for their garden or backyard.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will hold an eagle watch at 8:30 a.m. Saturday. Bring binoculars or a spotting scope, and meet at the park office for a driving and walking tour of eagle hot spots along the Clarion River. This is the prime time of the year to view bald eagles on their nests and finding new nesting sites. Hot chocolate and coffee will be available. Call 714-744-8407.
• Pymatuning State Park in Crawford County will hold an eagle watch weekend Friday to Sunday for those interested in bird watching and photography. Participants will look for eagles, other raptors and waterfowl in the park and in surrounding areas. Cost is $65 per person or $120 per couple. Reservations are required by calling 724-932-3142.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.