Fishing report: Twin Lakes, North Park giving up lots of trout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Anglers have been getting trout at both Upper and Lower Twin lakes, using all sorts of live baits, from maggots and meal worms to wax worms, said Martha Martino of Jimmy's Sporting Goods in South Greensburg. Powerbait has also taken fish.
• The Ohio River has been giving up a fair number of walleyes, some exceeding 25 inches in length, to anglers fishing with shiners, said Wayne Lykens of Island Firearms of Neville Island.
• Keystone Lake hasn't been getting a lot of fishing pressure, but the handful of anglers venturing out have been getting some trout, according to reports.
• The fishing has been slow at Lake Arthur, according to Glenda O'Donnell of O'Donnell's Sports Supplies in Portersville.
• At Raccoon Creek State Park, there's been some fishing pressure, with anglers trying their luck from shore and in boats. But the weather has limited the action.
• The Allegheny River has produced a few walleyes, but fishing pressure has been slight, according to a report from Transue's Bait in Kittanning.
• North Park Lake has been producing lots of trout recently, with one 24-inch rainbow reported caught and released this week.
• Legal-sized walleyes and white bass have been hitting on the Monongahela River, especially around the mouth of Pigeon Creek and near the old Lock 4, said Danny Plants of Shadlure in West Elizabeth.
• Canonsburg Lake has been producing trout for anglers fishing with meal worms and wax worms, according to one report.
• Those fishing with nymphs and, to a lesser degree, streamers have been taking trout from the delayed harvest section of Buffalo Creek.
• At Pymatuning Lake, there's been very little fishing activity, according to Patti Poff of Poff's Place in Espyville.
• Anglers have been taking a few trout at Virgin Run Lake, with Powerbait a top producer.
• Donegal Lake has been stocked with trout, but fishing pressure there has been spotty, as have catches, according to one report.
Bob Frye is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @bobfryeoutdoors.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.